Is it any good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DreadDargoth #1 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:40 AM

Ensign

• Players

I loved the original game.  In fact, I found a copy on an abandonware site, and still have it on my hard disc.  Play a game occasionally when I'm bored.

But is this new iteration any good?  I know I'm on a MOO forum, so there's probably some bias, but is it worth spending money on?

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Some might say yes, but I think most would say a resounding no. Especially if you expect it to play like the old Master of Orion (MOO 2). Game did not do well in sales and has now been abandoned by the developers, so no updates or improvements except community mods.

therealmericus #3 Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:02 PM

Ensign

• Players

The ships look pretty but is it any good, I'd have to say no it is crap.

Playing the Humans once, The Meklars on turn 200 cornered the stock market and won the game.

Second game using the Elerians; then I beat the Guardian and got the best? weapons in the game. But no not really the Meklars have unkillable ships and use weaponry below death rays and my battleship was not able to fire at all. Then the Meklars uploaded to a higher reality and won the game on turn 358.

Third game using the Meklars this time, the Silicoids made alliances with all the other races and killed me off completely by turn 152.

Last game I was the Elarians again, during my entire game inexplicitly I had to have all my planets go on trade goods to keep from going into a deficit per turn, build up was extremely slow, then once the Meklars became at peace with me all of a sudden my money blossomed into hundreds of thousands of credits, I had telepathic third-fold counter espionage spy on my worlds all the best antispy technology, and yet the Meklars were able to keep me from developing my worlds; all 9 to their 50!

So no the game is a smoking pile of excrement. every time you get to a point that you might be on your way to winning, and the developers use the cheat win with the Meklars doing the impossible once again. It is like playing ai chess, it will call a draw when you get three queens, but if it gets three queens it will destroy you with them. So in other words, go by a checkerboard and play checkers the old fashioned way because this game is a piece of cheating garbage!!!

Edited by therealmericus, 06 May 2018 - 05:11 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #4 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The unmodded game is not so good as the others point out. If you get the right mods though, I think it's a fairly good game. The 5X mod in particular will take care of the unbalanced race issues that therealmericus mentioned. My advice has always been that it's worth getting on sale but not worth getting for the full price (sadly the game hasn't gone on sale in almost a year). If you do decide to get it, make sure to get the unofficial code patch by WhatIsSol, and I'd recommend using the 5X mod or some other mod that fixes the game's balance issues.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users