Cloaking, where it works and how to use it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ChippedNotBroken #1 Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I have tried to pilot my own ships in the battle mode, but haven't had much luck mastering the interface. So any pointers there would be helpful.

Besides that I have the highest level of cloaking and no idea what it does or how to use it?

After a little experimentation I discovered it does nothing in the main game. I tried it in the battle mode, don't know if it worked there since even on hold I couldn't stop my ships from firing on other ships hence disabling any cloaking. 

Edited by ChippedNotBroken, 15 May 2018 - 05:01 PM.

Spud_Dastardly #2 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

You can assign groups of ships to numbers by holding ctrl and pressing the number. If you have some ships selected, you can add additional ships to the selection by holding shift (or is it ctrl?) and selecting the ship. You can queue up move and attack commands by holding shift and assigning the commands. You can activate/deactivate auto casting on weapons and specials by right clicking on them (this should fix your cloaking issue, though in my opinion cloaks are too much of a hassle to use). The commands are similar to Starcraft in these respects.

Using the Match Speeds button is useful for making sure your small ships don't get out too far ahead.

If you're using UCP (and I suggest you do since it fixes a lot of bugs), formation, profile, and retreat commands for groups of ships can only be used if those ships are in the same squad. You can use [ and ] to cycle through the squads. Selecting multiple ships of the same type (a bunch of frigates for example) and issuing them any command will usually merge them into the same squad.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

ChippedNotBroken #3 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I purchased through GOG. I don't know if that makes a difference. Kinda bummed to learn choosing who you purchase from limits what you can do. 

Seen you mention UCP in other posts, don't know what it is or where to get it. Bought this game to play with my daughter. We used to play the original and used to play it years ago and she saw the update and suggested we try it! :)

I have specialty fleets built of two different ship types just for cloaked fighting. Seemed like the easiest way to implement an attack.

Never played starcraft, but the battle features in Escape Velocity were ton's of fun, like an arcade game. was hoping for something more like that. But we'll figure this one out. Hopefully.

Thanks for the feedback!.

Spud_Dastardly #4 Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

You can get UCP here: https://www.nexusmods.com/masteroforionconquerthestars/mods/30. Be sure to read and follow the install instructions since it's not loaded like other mods.

Nexus Mods also has all the other mods available for the GoG version.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

ChippedNotBroken #5 Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I joined Nexus, bought a membership, downloaded the files .....

Only to find they don't support MAC OSX on GOG ...

That and the fact that every time I complete the Tech line, or not that long afterward,  my system starts to crash until the game just won't stay launched and I can't finish a game. I've been back and forth with the developer of the game, but they don't seem to have any mac's to test on either ...

WhatIsSol #6 Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

Commander

• Players

Yeah I do not have access to the OSX machine to patch it.   The Steam OSX version is based upon the Steam Linux version since they are like 99.999% the same.  But GOG does not have a Linux version to base it off of.   If I ever get access to an OSX machine I will port the patch over but that is highly unlikely given the cost to acquire.

ChippedNotBroken #7 Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I don't know if you'd be interested or if it would work, but if you'd like to use TeamViewer you can log into my system and do what you need to do .... 

Edited by ChippedNotBroken, 31 May 2018 - 02:54 PM.

WhatIsSol #8 Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Commander

• Players
Appreciated the offer, but unfortunately that would not work.  The amount of time needed to perform the initial operation is measured in weeks.  Running the various tests over a remote desktop technology would also just cause me to bang my head against the monitor in frustration.  It is something I would also need to repeat every time I pushed a new release out.

ChippedNotBroken #9 Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Okay, thanks for the reply.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users