Stellaris, from Paradox, another grand strategy adventure (MOO) elements

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Executor_Tauron #1 Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

http://www.pcgamer.c...ategy-to-space/

It seems they are taking asymetrical take on 4X but is 4X still. Theoretically i like how they want the game to play out and sounds pretty good. I hope they get tactical part right. I am excited paradox are doing this for posibility of complex political intrigue and some bigger take on diplomacy. There are some screenshots of tactical combat, still early to say anything.

What do you guys think, especially 4x vets. Is there something currents devs can take inspiration from (bc from looks of it paradox is taking bit from diff games and alot of gameplay lore and stuff from diff sci fi. Or do you guys just want old MOO with updated graphics.

Lord_Igneous #2 Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

Ensign

• Players
http://www.rockpaper...strategy-game/ 

This is a really detailed article on what was seen at gamescom. It sounds like it'll be positively magical if all goes well.

Executor_Tauron #3 Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Thanx for share, but link did not work.

As for stellaris, they call it grand strategy game with elements of 4X. So I kind of thought grand strategy means it has 4X but 4x game doesnt have to be grand strategy. Yeah, if they can pull off what they intend, magical indeed.

Mikko_M #4 Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:49 AM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

Well hopefully a little competition will make Wargaming bring out their A-game too for this new MOO. :)

Other than that the most important questions for me are: Does that game have a player controllable tactical battle system? And can you design your own ships in it?

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

plasmacannontime #5 Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

Commander

• Players

I like the looks of it so far.

http://www.stellarisgame.com/the-game

The races artwork looks great, though most still have a similar shaped body from the neck down.

I saw no mention of STAR LANES.

If MOO4 leaves them in and gives us no option play without them, they will have burned so many fans a 2nd time, that I think they will stick to any of the other games out there that have done a good job since MOO2.

Edited by plasmacannontime, 17 January 2016 - 04:19 PM.

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

Vahouth #6 Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View Postplasmacannontime, on 17 January 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

I like the looks of it so far.

http://www.stellarisgame.com/the-game

The races artwork looks great, though most still have a similar shaped body from the neck down.

I saw no mention of STAR LANES.

If MOO4 leaves them in and gives us no option play without them, they will have burned so many fans a 2nd time, that I think they will stick to any of the other games out there that have done a good job since MOO2.

Stellaris will feature 3 different types of FTL, Warp Jumps (free movement with cooldown), Wormholes (instant jumps but high maintenance) and Hyperlanes (starlanes).

There will be more than 100 races divided into 7 archetypes.

Gameplay will be real type with pause function.

No tactical combat, this will work like EU4.

So far it is my most anticipated 4X game of the year! :D

Here's a link with all Dev Diaries so far: https://forum.parado...archive.882950/

Edited by Vahouth, 17 January 2016 - 05:05 PM.

plasmacannontime #7 Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

Commander

• Players

I was about to be incredibly disappointed, until I read this part from the forums:

"

Ezzezze said:
Two questions popped in my mind:

Do we have to choose one of the space travel methods at the start of the game and stick with it for that game? Or can we change?
And are there ships which can use more than one technology?

You do choose a single type of FTL at game-start and stick with it for the majority of the game. Ships can not mix or use several FTL-types at the same time. That said, what ancient fleets may lie buried and forgotten amongst the stars, sleeping and ready to be found?"

https://forum.parado...-travel.886502/

So, if someone is a fan of Star Lanes they have their method, and if someone else is a fan of Free Movement or Wormholes, they have theirs. Brilliant. I'm happy with that combination, so long as the Free movement is on the main map, not just during combat.

Edited by plasmacannontime, 17 January 2016 - 07:49 PM.

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

Vahouth #8 Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Here's something really cool that Stellaris is having.

There are also new ways to take over the galaxy, other than outright conquest – take the new Federation game mechanic. “Federations are a more involved type of alliance, where several empires join together under a common President. While each empire is still autonomous to some degree, they basically share foreign policy. The Presidency rotates between the member states depending on their relative size. There is a special Federation Fleet, which is controlled by the President and designed using the best technologies from all member empires.

M002mod #9 Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

Commander

• Players

good stuff !

does it mean that Presidency also can rotate when playing with a.i.'s or is this a MP feature? ;)

Mikko_M #10 Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Rear Admiral

• Banned

View PostVahouth, on 17 January 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

No tactical combat, this will work like EU4.

And there goes my anticipation for that game. :( It might end up to be a nice little game, but without tactical combat I doubt I will bother with it.

Moreover, I advise that the tactical combat must be made more player controllable and informative for this to become a proper MOO game.

​The long lost formula for space 4X game success = Good tactical combat + good empire management > than just good tactical combat or good empire management alone.

M002mod #11 Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostMikko_M, on 22 January 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

And there goes my anticipation for that game. :( It might end up to be a nice little game, but without tactical combat I doubt I will bother with it.

not sure about it.

for Stellaris that presents itself as 'grand strategy' perhaps it can do without tactical and still be a great game.

moo should not aspire to be grand strategy, and moo is the game where to expect an excellent tactical.

Vahouth #12 Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 22 January 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

good stuff !

does it mean that Presidency also can rotate when playing with a.i.'s or is this a MP feature? ;)

I think it means both. I imagine it will work similarly to the role of the HRE emperor from EU4.

Here's the full article in case you'd like to see more.

http://www.pcpowerpl...tellaris,413948

Lucian667 #13 Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostMikko_M, on 22 January 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yes its depressing all right, although not really unexpected. Paradox never do tactical combat. But with its other brilliant ideas, the addition of good tactical combat would easily have turned Stellaris into the best space 4x ever made. Opportunity missed.

Vahouth #14 Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

Here's the weekly Dev Diary that was posted today about fleet combat.

https://forum.parado...-combat.904030/

Vahouth #15 Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

This is how colonization works in Stellaris.

When the Colony Ship has landed on the new world, it takes quite a while for the colonists to set up and grow into a full “Pop.” During this time, the colony will be a significant drain on your economy, so it is not always wise to settle as many worlds as you can as quickly as possible. It is worth noting that, in Stellaris, you cannot easily inhabit all types of worlds – not even with late-game technologies. You will be forced to rely on alien Pops or robots to colonize planets your starting race cannot inhabit (you can only terraform a few planets since doing so uses up a strategic resource).

Note that it states your "starting race". That's because that is subject to change depending on you gene manipulation, cybernetics etc. ;)

Edited by Vahouth, 26 January 2016 - 01:02 PM.

Vahouth #16 Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

The first insight on Stellaris with Quill18. :)

This will be the biggest and deepest 4X to date! :D

Edited by Vahouth, 16 March 2016 - 03:55 PM.

MOO2MOD #17 Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Captain

• Players

owhh dear, that looks like a game you can sink many hours of your life into.

there is so much going on and this game is really rich in detail.

(all that little stuff, like destroyed ships leave debris that can be studied)

planets look gorgeous, etc, etc.

you don't know your tech tree in advance! 

I liked Henrik's remark that 'research is almost like a collectable card game'.

very promising title.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #18 Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 16 March 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

The first insight on Stellaris with Quill18. :)

This will be the biggest and deepest 4X to date! :D

Wow... I'm already hooked. I had and i have VERY contradictory opinion about MOO/CtS during the whole process and from the very begining... But this game.... Wow !!!   For Whom the Bell Tolls, Orion ? It's time to admit...

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

MOO2MOD #19 Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostJeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, on 17 March 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

Wow... I'm already hooked. I had and i have VERY contradictory opinion about MOO/CtS during the whole process and from the very begining... But this game.... Wow !!!   For Whom the Bell Tolls, Orion ? It's time to admit...

Sadly for moo4 it was decided to drop the core elements of moo, making it a rather generic title, a 'civ in space' if you will.

While stellaris has a very distinct character and can easily live without tactical combat: it is a grand strategy title (something that moo should not aspire to be).

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #20 Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostMOO2MOD, on 17 March 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Sadly for moo4 it was decided to drop the core elements of moo, making it a rather generic title, a 'civ in space' if you will.

While stellaris has a very distinct character and can easily live without tactical combat: it is a grand strategy title (something that moo should not aspire to be).

I feel that Stellaris is the game MOO3 had to become once, but never did. I will miss those MOO4's interstellar gas clouds, though. AND it was such a pleasure to play MOO1 once again from the Collector's edition.

Edited by JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, 17 March 2016 - 09:55 AM.

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users