MOO2 - the ICE Mod

MOO2

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

MOO2MOD #41 Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

Captain

• Players

Agree, DP should be made better available somehow.

Another option that came to mind was Kronos, the ancient spacefarer. 

I have put him rather late in the leader list because of his Galactic Lore skill.

Perhaps he could be brought back to show up early - with the Dimensional Portal offcourse.

Just need to think if we want him to keep the gal. lore skill.

Anycase, If he goes back to original place, chances are really good that the portal will be in the game (somewhere :) )

Edited by MOO2MOD, 23 September 2015 - 10:18 PM.

MOO2MOD #42 Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Captain

• Players

strange, it works on my machine .. are you checking with mobile phone, coz that gives me trouble to see the pdf.

any case here it is

http://moo2mod.com/TechTree.pdf

MOO2MOD #43 Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Captain

• Players
Ah that link. Fixed it. Tx!

BluefootBooby #44 Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:32 AM

Ensign

• Players

Thanks to Mod2Mod for pointing out this forum. :: Waves. ::

Hi Summon3r.

There's an easy alternative to deleting the Stellar Converter. I have the same issues with the Black Hole Generator. For this fix, you'll need the OCL program, either OCL_V021 or Improved OCL. And you'll need DOSBox to run 'em. This fix will work for both the DOS version and Win95 version of MOO2.

1. Extract the current rules as instructed by OCL into a text file. (I tend to call mine MY_RULES.txt.)

2. Use notebook to open the file, and find the stellar converter's figures.

3. Increase the space and cost required by the Stellar Converter until it's nearly prohibitive. (Around 900, though that will change if you've modified the space inside ships or that given by Battle Pods.)

4. While you're at it, do the same for Black Hole Generators.

5. Export your new rules back into the game as instructed by OCL.

Voila! You now have a Stellar Converter so unwieldy, the only way to use it is to devote an entire ship to it. Such specialized ships will be expensive, and just about defenseless, with no room for anything but one big gun. For practical purposes, this weapon is out of the game.

M002mod #45 Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostMoo4, on 31 August 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

@MOO2MOD, can you explain the map files in your more recent update?

There are two extra mapmods included in a seperate download:

Goodmap3,

- in this mapgen, planets are of better quality, more terran, swamps, arids etc.

- all systems have 3 planets in orbit.

- this creates a more balanced galaxy, and more fair starting conditions

Icecold

- in this mapgen, planets per system are fewer and there are more empty systems.

- planet quality is quite poor making terraforming more important

- this creates more play time without enemy contact and especially in Huge galaxies distance is more difficult to overcome.

Both maps are available for ICE-M and ICE-X

Moo4 #46 Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Captain

• Players
Stuck at work, but you're making me want to go home and play!

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

M002mod #47 Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

Commander

• Players

Exciting little update for ICE players:

Finally managed to make Biomorphic Funghi a useful technology:
It now works 'reversed' and adds +1 food to life supporting worlds, where you already can farm. 
It no longer functions on lifeless worlds, saving a.i. from great inefficiencies in their economy!

When playing with initiative set to ON (as it should be), missiles and torpedoes will now move at the
end of the turn they are launched, instead of at the end of the next turn.

In essence their behaviour is the same as playing with initiative OFF.

CaptainSpire #48 Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
There was a Moo2 editor where I x4 the tech points needed to research things.  Made the game play much longer and having fleets of battleships and titans with maybe mass drivers and gravaton beams made the battles a bit more fun.  This one looks fun too.  Always wanted to have harder space monsters, but harder antarians.   45 points?  Eh I guess it's needed.

solar_one #49 Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Ensign

• Players
Concerning your Vanilla 2.1 mod...

I love the Vanilla mod, but there is a bug (tested in 2.0 - assume not fixed in 2.1) in fixing the Evolutionary Mutation bug.  If I gift the tech to an opponent, they would get the 4 picks.  However, in the Vanilla mod, they get zero (0).  Please look into and see if you can fix soon!  Thanks!

M002mod #50 Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

Commander

• Players

Hey solar_one.

Nice that you like the Vanilla patch-mod!

About evo-mutation;

At the moment I can not replicate the problem you describe. If i gift the a.i. with Mutation, they will get the extra picks.

There's two things that came to mind while testing this;

-If you play on Average difficulty setting or lower, then the Mutation will not work for the a.i. and this was already the case in 1.40 too.

They will only get Mutation benefits on Hard and IMP difficulties.

-Second possibility; for the a.i., Mutation will only come into effect the next turn, instead of the same turn.

The change that Mutation will work the current turn only affects Human players and not the a.i., so you would need to click Turn buttom to see the effect.

If your problem is not caused by these two cases, then could you tell me for which race specifically you did not see the mutation apply?

For example, from the spreadsheet you can see that the 'Alkari IMP 1' = +Demo, or 'Darlok Hard 2' = +SD25, etc.

It would help to find the problem. tx

Edited by M002mod, 28 November 2015 - 11:39 PM.

solar_one #51 Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:28 AM

Ensign

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 28 November 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hey solar_one.

Nice that you like the Vanilla patch-mod!

About evo-mutation;

At the moment I can not replicate the problem you describe. If i gift the a.i. with Mutation, they will get the extra picks.

There's two things that came to mind while testing this;

-If you play on Average difficulty setting or lower, then the Mutation will not work for the a.i. and this was already the case in 1.40 too.

They will only get Mutation benefits on Hard and IMP difficulties.

-Second possibility; for the a.i., Mutation will only come into effect the next turn, instead of the same turn.

The change that Mutation will work the current turn only affects Human players and not the a.i., so you would need to click Turn buttom to see the effect.

If your problem is not caused by these two cases, then could you tell me for which race specifically you did not see the mutation apply?

For example, from the spreadsheet you can see that the 'Alkari IMP 1' = +Demo, or 'Darlok Hard 2' = +SD25, etc.

It would help to find the problem. tx

Ahh...I was playing on Average, so perhaps that was it (although I thought I gifted it in the past on Average, but maybe not!).  Anyway, it was the  Trilarians I was playing against.  Now that you confirm all is good...I'll use Vanilla as my base game to mod -- I love tweaking with OCL Improved once there is a stable base to play with ;)

M002mod #52 Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostCaptainSpire, on 23 November 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

This one looks fun too.  Always wanted to have harder space monsters, but harder antarians.   45 points?  Eh I guess it's needed.

What i tried to achieve with the 45 points, is to be able to add extra traits to the 'weaker' race builds from classic 1.40 game, so more variation is possible between your games.

For example the classic strong race "UniTol, P+1, Large HW" takes up all your 45 picks, but weaker race builds (with more research or war focus) will have picks spare.

M002mod #53 Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postsolar_one, on 29 November 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

Now that you confirm all is good...I'll use Vanilla as my base game to mod -- I love tweaking with OCL Improved once there is a stable base to play with ;)

sure. and if you think your mod is worthy of sharing, i can put a link on my site too.

voidstalker_woe #54 Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostMOO2MOD, on 16 September 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

ok - you need a hex editor, I recommend a free one on my website in case you don't have one yet.

Offset: 1FCFE9

Block: 1FCFE9-1FCFEA

Change: 45 00 >>> FF FF

And Stellar Converter is out of the game.

** disclaimer **

perhaps the removal of Stellar Converter could lead to a stronger a.i. fleet

;)

Thats Awsome.  I din't have your mod, Just Moo2 for windows, but I'd be very interested in getting rid of some technologies from my games.  These would be:

1. Thorium Fuel cells.  Keeping "zoo" species alive would be much easier without these dang pesky things in game.
  2. Black hole Generators.  Sorry, killing my non-phase clocked DS in X turns, regardless of cybernetic crew and auto repair unit w/TWF is just a no-go.  (almost never happens, but why keep it if I can rid myself of it)?
  3. Quantum Detanator.
  4. Spacial Compressor.
  5. pulsars.

Space is big, no area effect weapons!  Where can I find that Hex editor, and what do I need to change, in order to be able to keep the "Endangered Species" alive right up to the end?

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

M002mod #55 Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

Commander

• Players
sounds like you need to start playing around with OCL_Improved.exe to be able to create your own mod!

voidstalker_woe #56 Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 20 December 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

sounds like you need to start playing around with OCL_Improved.exe to be able to create your own mod!

Like the other fellow, I take it upon myself to "keep the others alive", and that is much easier when I have a multi planet system, one of which is mine w/WI, but the way the code is written, my fleet doesn't always get to intercept the other fellow on the way to exterminate one of my alternate research paths..Erm, that is to say, glorious allied nations in harmony.  Does your Hex editor work for vanilla w/windows XP?  I have never played online, and have no experience with dosbox.  :(
Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

voidstalker_woe #57 Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Captain

• Players
Also, if I can rid my games of the 5 above techs, will the antarean's ships get more regular stuff on them, possibly making them more powerful in conventional ways?

M002mod #58 Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 20 December 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

Also, if I can rid my games of the 5 above techs, will the antarean's ships get more regular stuff on them, possibly making them more powerful in conventional ways?

The Antaran ships have a fixed design that is independent of what is present in the tech tree.

With above mentioned OCL you can edit the Antaran ships, but unfortunately not for the Win95 exe, only for the DOS version.

Much less is known about the Win95 exe, so less stuff can be altered.

M002mod #59 Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

Commander

• Players

We are starting 2016 with a fresh new install of the ICE mod, which arrived at version 11 today and has a couple of new actual bug fixes and updates to the GUI.

As usual, all changes are listed in the http://moo2mod.com/ICEMOD_readme.txt

Edited by M002mod, 05 January 2016 - 09:25 PM.

Rowsol #60 Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

Ensign

• Players

I recently decided to play Moo again after many years, among some other oldies, and the first thing I did was look for a mod.  I stumbled across this which had been updated just days earlier.

I started a new game, 2 players, easy, small.  When I met the other race, Sakkra (or however you spell it) they had 4 galaxies already!  I was still on my first one.  And no, I wasn't just sitting back researching.  There is simply no way to afford that many colony ships in that amount of time without cheating.  

The antarans are completely OP and if they come for me my planet is dead 100% of the time.

My other gripe is with the planet defenses.  I brought 6 of the tier 4 ships to a planet and got owned by a single battlestation (I think it was).  Those things are so OP only tech from much further on can hope to kill one, making rushing the enemy futile.  

Now I know I didn't describe every little detail, and I'm probably just a big noob, but the cheating AI and the insane planet defenses are really killing this for me.  Any tips?

EDIT:  Okay, so I played another game, this time as Sakkra, and what do ya know, the computer only had 2 systems.  Seems they are just insane at expansion.  I got the first few upgrades on missiles/bombs/phaser, made about 4 ships, and destroyed the computer.  Thankfully they only had a starbase or like said earlier, I would've had no chance.

Edited by Rowsol, 10 January 2016 - 08:49 PM.

Also tagged with MOO2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users