MOO2 - the ICE Mod

MOO2

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

M002mod #61 Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

Commander

• Players

well, the intention of ice is that things are a bit more difficult.

about: "When I met the other race, Sakkra (or however you spell it) they had 4 galaxies already!  I was still on my first one."

keep in mind that Sakkra are Feudal and get a discount on ship cost, including Colony Ships.

what turn was this and did you start pre warp or average?

about: "I brought 6 of the tier 4 ships to a planet and got owned by a single battlestation (I think it was)."

orbital platforms have been greatly improved. especially when you are behind in tech, they are tougher to take down and good ships design is of the essence.

about: "the cheating AI"

the a.i. has more raw power in ice (more race picks) to get more interesting opposition.

on the other hand you as a player have more race picks available too. 

what race did you play?

Edited by M002mod, 10 January 2016 - 11:12 PM.

Rowsol #62 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

Ensign

• Players

Started in Average

I always play custom race.

Look, I guess it's possible they could have built 3 colony ships without cheating...

If I had one actual gripe, it's the Antarans.  They come way too often, and are too strong. 

I wish you could pick more -skills in the race menu.  Also, some just don't make sense to me.  For instance, -20 to weapons is -6 and defense is -3.  Why the disparity?

On a side note, assume I know nothing and tell me a couple strats you think are good for this mod?

I only these past couple days I've spent trying to learn things.  The only thing I've learned is that robot factory and research lab are irreplaceable and vital.  

Edited by Rowsol, 11 January 2016 - 12:05 AM.

Seablaze1234 #63 Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I've had a chance to read over the patch notes, and decided that this mod is not for me - however, I recall that the developer felt that Antarans were insignificant in his games, and sought to make them a presence in the galaxy. It looks like he managed to succeed there.

What picks did you/do you normally choose for your custom races? From what I saw in the patch notes, you really need to get off to a good start to have any sort of impact mid/late. Picks like Creative, while popular, were always poor at doing that, and the mod developer has pretty much gutted the creative perk, from what I've seen.

M002mod #64 Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostRowsol, on 10 January 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

I wish you could pick more -skills in the race menu.  Also, some just don't make sense to me.  For instance, -20 to weapons is -6 and defense is -3.  Why the disparity?

On a side note, assume I know nothing and tell me a couple strats you think are good for this mod?

I only these past couple days I've spent trying to learn things.  The only thing I've learned is that robot factory and research lab are irreplaceable and vital.  

Beam attack is -6 picks compared to only -3 for Defense, as the attack number also influences the initiative rating you ships will have in combat.

Ships with the highest initiative may shoot first, which is a huge advantage.

What do you mean with a wish to pick more -skills?

For some pointers on strategies, this link is a good read:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=551679

Rowsol #65 Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

Ensign

• Players

Ok, I didn't know about the initiative bonus. 

I mean I wish I could do more than -21 in skills.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  

I recorded a couple games, and more to come in the future.  https://www.youtube....iSF2uI4DL9kCwkI (for anyone bored enough to watch)

Edited by Rowsol, 20 January 2016 - 04:43 PM.

M002mod #66 Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostRowsol, on 11 January 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

I recorded a couple games, and more to come in the future.  https://www.youtube....iSF2uI4DL9kCwkI (for anyone bored enough to watch)

Just realized now by reading back this thread that you are Bryan T :)

JosEPh_II #67 Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostJamieK81, on 15 September 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

I would use this mod, if it worked for the windows 95 version of the game, but sadly it doesn't.

ITs the funny thing, in windows 10, MoO2 windows 95 version works flawlessly.

Win 10 x32 or x64? Or just make sure Compatibility is set correctly?

Would like more details on this please. :)

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Rowsol #68 Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

Ensign

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 22 January 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

Just realized now by reading back this thread that you are Bryan T :)

Have you seen my videos on youtube prior to this?  That would be surprising.

M002mod #69 Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostRowsol, on 22 January 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

Have you seen my videos on youtube prior to this?  That would be surprising.

yeah that would be surprising indeed :0

was watching your vids yesterday, and then clicked your link here today to find that its about the same thing.

was interesting to see your mode of play: strategic games, with autobuild always on and no 'end of turn wait' (and some fine music).

first time i saw it.

is it playable on the higher difficulties too?

Rowsol #70 Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

Ensign

• Players

Well, I don't like to micromanage.  I like to design my own ships, but I hate to have to refit them all the time so that's the main reason for playing with tactical combat off.  I've been playing on easy lately because I find my win rate about 75%, if I were to guess.  Average is more like 25%.  The computer seems to always have me beat when it comes to ships, even when I try feudal, so...

The videos certainly aren't a showcase of skill... lol.  And as far as the music is concerned, I'm simply not willing to play without music.  I could just not record the sound and have a mute video but I figure, let the watcher decide if they want to hear it or not.  Yea, there are like 5 copyright claims on each video, lol, but with an ad blocker it's not a concern for me.  If I thought anyone actually cared either way I would upload it whichever way they prefered.

Edited by Rowsol, 22 January 2016 - 11:26 PM.

M002mod #71 Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:07 AM

Commander

• Players

Some new stuff in ICE 11 explained-

Moo4 #72 Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

Captain

• Players

Hey there

MoO2 1.5 recently came out but it says not to apply to a modded folder.  Will it just crash?  Any chance of getting ICE and 1.5 to play nice?  Interested in trying out build queues and augmenting my own weapons/buildings :)

Also, what exactly is going on if i use

mapmod = ICE-COLD; 

Do mapmods and other command lines like /planets /monsters /nonebula conflict with mapmods?

Edited by Moo4, 20 March 2016 - 01:25 PM.

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

M002mod #73 Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostMoo4, on 20 March 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

MoO2 1.5 recently came out but it says not to apply to a modded folder.  Will it just crash?  Any chance of getting ICE and 1.5 to play nice?  Interested in trying out build queues and augmenting my own weapons/buildings 

Also, what exactly is going on if i use mapmod = ICE-COLD; 

Do mapmods and other command lines like /planets /monsters /nonebula conflict with mapmods?

I don't think it will crash, but If you run the 150 exe in a mod game folder it will use the modded files (for example the ice mod has not only the exe modified but also a number of other game files), leading to a broken game.

We're working hard atm on a new version of the patch.

As soon as it is ready & released, I will turn attention to porting the ICE mod to 1.5 patch.

That ICE release will be 'compatible' meaning that it can live inside the regular MOO folder together with the patch.

About the mapmods; we have included 4 mapmods in the patch. ICE-COLD is intended for play in Huge galaxies and creates maps with more empty systems, less planets overall and less wormholes.

Intention is to slow down first contact and to have smaller empires in mid-late game.

This mapmod will be replaced with the more generic 'ICE' map in the upcoming release.

There should be no conflicts with the command lines and mapmods and you can use them at the same time as a mapmod (that is in fact intended).

Moo4 #74 Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

Captain

• Players

When you say new patch I'm guessing you mean 1.5xx?  My experience with 1.5 has been great so far.  Any hint at planned changes?

----

Ugh, how do you play moo2 on a huge?  

I like the goal of fewer planets.  I used it on a small, 8 players last night.  That's my type of 'empire' :p  

Will mapmod options ever end up on the command as well?  I can see a huge being interesting if half of the systems are singleton tiny's for outposts.  

Edited by Moo4, 21 March 2016 - 04:17 PM.

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

M002mod #75 Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostMoo4, on 21 March 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

When you say new patch I'm guessing you mean 1.5xx?  My experience with 1.5 has been great so far.  Any hint at planned changes?

----

Will mapmod options ever end up on the command as well?  I can see a huge being interesting if half of the systems are singleton tiny's for outposts.  

Yes, that would be patch 1.50.1  (WIP)

A few hints; new a.i. races (more variants and some stronger opponents too), improved a.i. ship designs, some diplomacy bug fixes, much more modding options, a custom delay for that superfast scrolling in the combat screen - making scrolling usable again, ability to show your mods name on main screen, and a good hand full of bug fixes. 

Options are optional, so you can choose to play classic or add any of the above as you see fit  (everyone gets the bug fixes eh).

Like you idea of a singletons galaxy, sort of MOO1 style, have put it on list of things to do...

Edited by M002mod, 21 March 2016 - 08:10 PM.

Moo4 #76 Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

Captain

• Players

Very interested to see if your modding options let us turn moo2 into more of a sandbox game if desired.

What I mean by map-mod options is that ICE-COLD obviously tweaks with some features for system generation (# planets, biomes, sizes, available pop given size and biome etc).  Those go beyond whats available through the - and / options which typically focus on the homesystem only.

Will us plebians ever get to mod the variables that go into the uniqueness of one of the 4 available map mods?

M002mod #77 Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostMoo4, on 22 March 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Very interested to see if your modding options let us turn moo2 into more of a sandbox game if desired.

What I mean by map-mod options is that ICE-COLD obviously tweaks with some features for system generation (# planets, biomes, sizes, available pop given size and biome etc).  Those go beyond whats available through the - and / options which typically focus on the homesystem only.

Will us plebians ever get to mod the variables that go into the uniqueness of one of the 4 available map mods?

We have just released patch version 1.50.1, which a long list of new features, including an extended set of switches to mod the galaxy.

There are also improvements in the way combat works, as well as a number of bug fixes.

A light mod 'Vmod' comes included with the patch, that can be played by enabling it in the main configuration file ORION2.CFG.

http://moo2mod.com/patch/README_150.TXT

http://moo2mod.com/mapgen.html

Edited by M002mod, 28 March 2016 - 10:19 PM.

Moo4 #78 Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

Captain

• Players
So much for getting work done this week...

M002mod #79 Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostMoo4, on 29 March 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

So much for getting work done this week...

Hehe. 

Because this patch is getting really rich in options and new stuff, we have made a full manual.

You can read this and tell people you have been studying hard:  :)

http://moo2mod.com/patch/MANUAL_150.PDF

Moo4 #80 Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

Captain

• Players
Is the ICE Mod compatible with 1.5xxx yet?

Also tagged with MOO2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users