MoO 1 + 2 were awesome... but why does no one remember MoO 3?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

The_StormWraith #81 Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Ah!  Good old Avalon Hill.  I am still holding on to hopes of finding people to play "King Maker" with me - a game that will always live in my heart because of when I discovered it. A friend and I played HOURS of it - almost certainly incorrectly, as I was very new to gaming at the time - but with great gusto. Ironically I was thrilled to death about a decade ago when I found a copy of a computerized versin of King Maker in a second hand bookstore while on vacation. I rushed home, loaded it up, patched it, and got the thrill of watching a painfully dated load screen... that never went any farther. In some ways I would *love* to see more games of that ilk make their way into computerized form. Turn-based strategy is seemingly an endangered species, but there are a few games that restore hope - for all it's flaws the latest X-Com was delightful and an example that turn-based games still have a place. One day I may succumb to buying Mordheim, as it (in it's board-game version) seems full of potential.

I love the goals of MoO3, but even if it ran pristinely on my ancient machine and had all the patches installed (which I am going to do soon), I still would not attempt to get any of my friends to play multi-player with me, which we spent HOURS on in MoO2. Not because of flaws in MoO3, but because I just can't imagine trying to organize that kind of time-sink with where we are now in our lives. If we were to dedicate that kind of time to a game these days we are more likely to dig out Arkham Horror or even Dune. But for myself, digging down into the details and plotting my expansions and policies against a malevolent and confused universe? Yeah, I'll happily get lost in that. :)

StormWraith, Feudal Sakkran Researcher

and Unemployed MoO3 Boarding Shuttle Pilot

Endsor #82 Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostJosEPh_II, on 22 March 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Endsor wrote:"and *spoiler alert*, playable most assuredly does not mean good or even ok. It is still a very very bad, dull game, patches or no patches. " Duly Noted that III is not your preferred playstyle game Endsor. But others do like and play it. I'm sure I and other III players won't hold it against you for not playing III. Will you do the same for those of us that will play III? I hope so.

I have no issue with those who like moo3, I just say I try the game again after 13 years with patches and I dont like it still. My bad old memories were all true and moo3 goes back onto my shelf or maybe to be used as a drink coaster. If you like it, that is good for you, I dont care.

The_StormWraith #83 Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Lol - If I *do* give up on MoO3, it will surely converted into a most honoured drink coaster - it deserves that just for its aspirational goals. :)

StormWraith, Feudal Sakkran Researcher

and inventor of "Australian Rules Pong"

JosEPh_II #84 Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostEndsor, on 22 March 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

I have no issue with those who like moo3, I just say I try the game again after 13 years with patches and I dont like it still. My bad old memories were all true and moo3 goes back onto my shelf or maybe to be used as a drink coaster. If you like it, that is good for you, I dont care.

If you want to get rid of your MoOIII CDs I will take them off your hands for you. Just message me here thru this site about details.

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

JosEPh_II #85 Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

Captain

• Players

To the OP,

The ones that do remember and play III always get shouted out and put down for liking it on forums like this. 

In fact the opponents of III will say that there is no other poster even posting about (if you happen to be the latest to post anything about III), when in fact many have, but those that did post about III just get tired of the vicious and mean spirited "replies" and move on.  MoOIII did not fulfill their desire for a MoO1.5 or a MoO2.5 so it always devolves into a mess. So only the really tough skinned MoOIII players ever hang around for any length of time.

This is what is happening even now on this forum. I just wish it were not so.

JosEPh

Endsor #86 Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostJosEPh_II, on 18 April 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

To the OP,

The ones that do remember and play III always get shouted out and put down for liking it on forums like this. 

In fact the opponents of III will say that there is no other poster even posting about (if you happen to be the latest to post anything about III), when in fact many have, but those that did post about III just get tired of the vicious and mean spirited "replies" and move on.  MoOIII did not fulfill their desire for a MoO1.5 or a MoO2.5 so it always devolves into a mess. So only the really tough skinned MoOIII players ever hang around for any length of time.

This is what is happening even now on this forum. I just wish it were not so.

JosEPh

For someone who always complains about being shouted down, you do very much shouting yourself. But you can shout or say whatever you want, just do not try to prevent others from having the same rights. Your posts are ironic, you try twice already in other threads to silence others, nobody ever tried to silence you. You falsely accuse others of actions only you are guilty of. Shameful.

JosEPh_II #87 Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:31 AM

Captain

• Players

Endsor, I can not "see" your post. Understand?

But I wonder why you feel you must post after every one of my posts. Are you stalking me? Perhaps trying to harrass? I'm hope not. That would be very bad forum etiquette. Perhaps even needing to be reported.

You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Why don't you just put me on Ignore? That is why there is such a function on the forum you know.

I already said Bye Bye to you.

JosEPh

Endsor #88 Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostJosEPh_II, on 20 April 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

Endsor, I can not "see" your post. Understand?

But I wonder why you feel you must post after every one of my posts. Are you stalking me? Perhaps trying to harrass? I'm hope not. That would be very bad forum etiquette. Perhaps even needing to be reported.

You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Why don't you just put me on Ignore? That is why there is such a function on the forum you know.

I already said Bye Bye to you.

JosEPh

Make your reports liar and I too will make my reports. Except my reports will contain strong evidence of your despicable attempts to bully other forum members into silence while yours will contain only your insane delusions of moo3 player persecution which never exist except in your mind.

View PostJosEPh_II, on 16 April 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Thanks for telling us how many times now?! You don't like it, fine we get that. Just give it a rest please so we can have some discussion. We that like MoO III have as much Right and Right to post about it as you do about your love for the other MoO's (some of us like all 4 MoO's). Your prejudice is duly noted, but is not welcome after umpteen times of showing it off. That is called bullying. And is not wanted nor appreciated.

View PostJosEPh_II, on 16 April 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

You've also posted your opinion of MoOIII multiple times. It's noted. Continued repeats are really not necessary. Are you trying to stop MoOIII players from having an opinion contrary to yours? Are you trying to limit those same players/posters from posting opinions related to it? Almost all of us that play III also play 1 and 2 and Love them as much as you and others profess (you seem to forget that though and sweep it under the rug).

They will see who is the troll no matter how you lie and deceive.

Lucian667 #89 Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Just a friendly suggestion for you both, why dont you take a deep breath and back away from each other, at least for a few days? You're both valuable forum members and I wouldn't want to see either of you banned over something so trivial and ridiculous. Its really not worth it.

Dizeit_ #90 Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
To answer the OP's question, moo3 sucked like a black hole, that's why no one remembers it.

M002mod #91 Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostEmP64213, on 01 May 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Black holes don't suck, that's common misconception.

MOO3 is just very heavy stuff  :)

JosEPh_II #92 Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Captain

• Players

To the OP,

There are many that remember, play, and like MoOIII. No matter how many "others" like to naysay. As you have seen from the replies.

JosEPh

plasmacannontime #93 Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostMrWizard_2015, on 31 August 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Its like you all dont want MoO 3 to exist? What happened with it?

​You know how in some countries they don't have a thirteenth floor, because of the number is associated with bad luck?

That's where it went. Into a Black Hole where it should never come back from and be destroyed for all time. It is the game that must not be spoken.
Reviews from fans and critics have never been in such agreement over how bad this game was. Google MOO3 reviews if you dare go further, or live in peaceful bliss in what you do not know.

There is the originator of the genre MOO1.

There is the awesome race customizing MOO2.

Then there is MOO CTS. Sometimes referred to as MOO4, especially when noting 'errors in judgement' brought from it's predecessor into the game, such as star lanes.

There have been many posts on this subject all over the internet. Let's not resurrect such bad memories.

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users