MOO3 Patches and Mods

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tom_Holsinger #1 Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Go here for the MOO3 fan patches and mods by Canadian gamer/programmer Bhruic:

http://www.lcs-hambu...tcher/index.htm

Bhruic also did a lot of work patching and modding the Civilization series by Firaxis.

Go here for the many other fan mods:

http://www.moo3.at/mods/

I particularly recommend the Strawberry and Tropical mods as examples of how MOO3 could be playable and, once you get past the awful micromanagement, fun and different.  It's not great but these are worth playing if you can put up with the interface and micromanagement.

Even with those, the MOO3 code has a major slowdown issue due to the AI empires sending zillions of useless troop transport task forces around the rear areas after about 200 turns.  I strongly recommend you entirely ditch ground combat from MOO3 in the following fashion:

Mod TechTables.txt with Excel or a text editor to make Troop Transports and all ground troop units into level 99 techs.  Be sure to remove the Start tech level from the Troop Transport line.  I'd also make all ground troop technology into level 99 tech, but you should omit ground unit armor items from that so you don't mistakenly make some ship armor tech unavailable.

Patch your game with Bhruic's AutoConquer patch.  Give every beam weapon and missile warhead the PntDisWp=1 feature by editing TechTables.txt.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #2 Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

Captain

• Players
This topic is a great one ! Thank you !

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

OrionSol #3 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:48 AM

Captain

• Players

He who mentions the game that shall not be named, shall be punished!

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 

Endsor #4 Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

Commander

• Players
I never did play moo3 with all the fan patches, the initial experience was enough to put me off for years. I might give your recommendations a go and see if its any fun. Thanks for the links.

Tom_Holsinger #5 Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I re-installed MOO3 after about five years of not playing it, and was immediately reminded of its many broken features and awful problems, plus the enormous degree to which I had modded it to get around those.

Don't try to play it straight from the install CD.  Go here instead:

and install either the Vanilla or Strawberry mods.  I recommend the Tropical mod but you need at least Vanilla or Strawberry just to make the game work.

If you want to remove a tech from the game, insert the following into column H of the TechTables.txt file at the appropriate line for the tech:

Antar_99

instead of making it only a level 99 tech.  Making it an Antaran tech too means it can't be discovered from a newly discovered planet.

The reason for this is that random advanced techs are often discovered when an empire destroys the Guardian for a particular nuked-to-glass former homeworld of an old race's empire.  The AI's will then trade that tech around among themselves (after stealing it from you if necessary) so it might get into the game even if no race can research it.  I vaguely recall a spreadsheet entry which restricts a given tech from being randomly discovered, but also vaguely recall that this affects only the generic random event which sometimes happens on a first discovery of a new star system.  There is another special event which happens upon defeating a Guardian, and it provides more advanced techs.  I find it safer to make all undesired techs into Antar_99 so no random event, period, can introduce them.

You will find micro-management of new colonies an awful chore in the middle and end games.  I recommend, after installing one of the flavored patches above, that you make the following buildings into Achievements instead so they don't have to be built on colonies:

Lines 554, 555 and 556, which are Astro University, System University and Imperial University respectively.  Change line G to:

Achieve

It is also an incredible, and slow, pain in the rear to build the various sorts of spaceyards on each new colony.  I recommend you mod them so empires need only build the very first yard.

Change line 439, column K's entry for:

Hull_Bld+=1,

to:

Hull_Bld+=10

And add:

Antar_99

to the Column H entries for lines 440-448.

Note that the Strawberry mod allows 14 hull sizes, not 10, so, if you use the Strawberry mod, you'll have to change line 439, column K, from Hull_Bld+=1 to Hull_Bld+=14, plus hunt down the four new space yards to add Antar_99 to all their column H's.

Just because an empire can build any size ship hull at the beginning of the game doesn't mean they have discovered the tech for that hull size.  There may be some downside to having only the hull size tech determine that, but the horrid micromanagement for building all ten different space yards on new colonies/newly conquered planets in the end game is such that I use only the basic spaceyard for the whole game.

JosEPh_II #6 Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Captain

• Players

1st things 1st!

Hi Tom! JosEPh from AtmoO here, Author of the Random Gov't Mod for MoOIII.

For those that want to see what MoO3 became just start by adding Bruic's MoO3Patcher and basic Patches. Get a feel for it and then explore it's possibilities Like Colt's original Vanilla Mod or Pedxing's Strawberry or Chocolate or Dan's Tropical, all found at http://www.moo3.at/mods/

Just saw today the New MoO coming this year and had to check it out. Then I saw this forum and Tom's familiar name.

@OrionSol,

Please give it up. There are many who went beyond the "lack of understanding" and found treasure.

JosEPh :)

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

JosEPh_II #7 Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Captain

• Players

Some info on MoOIII and win 10 x64, Gog.com version of MoOIII works very well And your old Mods for III do too. I have my Random Gov't Mod plus Bhruic's Moo3Patcher with his Basic Patches and Mods active and they work well.

And I still occasionally tweak my own personal RaceMod. I never released it because Atari shut down the MoOIII forums Twice! And I lost some valuable info from other members who modded there.

If someone has figured out how to make the Boxed set of CDs work on win 10 I'd like to hear how it was done.

JosEPh :)

The_StormWraith #8 Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Wow - really great stuff here. Thanks folks!

Question for you - is there anywhere that has a list of the leaders/heroes that could show up in MoO3? I was never sure if there were actually pre-generated like on MoO2, or if they were pseudo-random collections of traits like a loot-drop in Diablo...

StormWraith, Fedual Sakkran Researcher

and Collector of *All* the Toys

Oh, wait - a request from my Evil Twin: Did anyone ever make a mod where, in the Biology Tree (for example) you could acquire Space Monsters for your fleets? We always thought that would be awesome, even if it was just in a Bio-Weapon sense of "You've found a Space Eel - load up a Shuttle full of Bacon and point it at an enemy colony..."

StormWraith, Feudal Sakkran Researcher

and cause of Directive 95g "Mornington Crescent is *NOT* a Strategy Manual, and Von Clauswitz almost certainly did not write it."

JosEPh_II #9 Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:22 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostTom_Holsinger, on 09 November 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

I re-installed MOO3 after about five years of not playing it, and was immediately reminded of its many broken features and awful problems, plus the enormous degree to which I had modded it to get around those.

Don't try to play it straight from the install CD.  Go here instead:

and install either the Vanilla or Strawberry mods.  I recommend the Tropical mod but you need at least Vanilla or Strawberry just to make the game work.

If you want to remove a tech from the game, insert the following into column H of the TechTables.txt file at the appropriate line for the tech:

Antar_99

instead of making it only a level 99 tech.  Making it an Antaran tech too means it can't be discovered from a newly discovered planet.

The reason for this is that random advanced techs are often discovered when an empire destroys the Guardian for a particular nuked-to-glass former homeworld of an old race's empire.  The AI's will then trade that tech around among themselves (after stealing it from you if necessary) so it might get into the game even if no race can research it.  I vaguely recall a spreadsheet entry which restricts a given tech from being randomly discovered, but also vaguely recall that this affects only the generic random event which sometimes happens on a first discovery of a new star system.  There is another special event which happens upon defeating a Guardian, and it provides more advanced techs.  I find it safer to make all undesired techs into Antar_99 so no random event, period, can introduce them.

You will find micro-management of new colonies an awful chore in the middle and end games.  I recommend, after installing one of the flavored patches above, that you make the following buildings into Achievements instead so they don't have to be built on colonies:

Lines 554, 555 and 556, which are Astro University, System University and Imperial University respectively.  Change line G to:

Achieve

It is also an incredible, and slow, pain in the rear to build the various sorts of spaceyards on each new colony.  I recommend you mod them so empires need only build the very first yard.

Change line 439, column K's entry for:

Hull_Bld+=1,

to:

Hull_Bld+=10

And add:

Antar_99

to the Column H entries for lines 440-448.

Note that the Strawberry mod allows 14 hull sizes, not 10, so, if you use the Strawberry mod, you'll have to change line 439, column K, from Hull_Bld+=1 to Hull_Bld+=14, plus hunt down the four new space yards to add Antar_99 to all their column H's.

Just because an empire can build any size ship hull at the beginning of the game doesn't mean they have discovered the tech for that hull size.  There may be some downside to having only the hull size tech determine that, but the horrid micromanagement for building all ten different space yards on new colonies/newly conquered planets in the end game is such that I use only the basic spaceyard for the whole game.

To add somewhat to what Tom has posted.

If you 1st start by just adding Bhruic's MoO3Pathcer and Patches (about 20 Patches) and save the Mods that come with the Patcher (another 16 patches), then you can get a better feel for what vanilla 1.25 should've been If Quicksilver would've been allowed by Atari to put out a 2nd Bug fix patch.

MoOIII is playable and is also enjoyed by many.  Much to the chagrin of those that (to put it very mildy) dislike it for whatever reason they chose to use.

I also would suggest for 1st time players If you add Bhruic's Patcher to add the Easy Mod found at The Master of Orion 3 Guardian  under Projects. The Easy difficulty level in the game is Average and not easy. Using the Easy Mod allows you more time to learn by reducing the steep learning curve a little bit.

Later on these Mega Mods Tom has listed are good too. I recommend Vanilla 1st. The Tropical, Chocolate, and Strawberry are more deviated and each takes a different path.

And I would like to plug my Random Gov't mod as a stand alone to be used with Bhruic's patcher. It allows an extra 2 picks for choosing a Gov't. 1 is a Hidden Gov't choice that was complete in the game but not displayed. It is called Unique. The 2nd Choice is the Random Button. This button if selected gives a 75% chance that all races in the mod including Player's chosen Race will not have their "Normal" gov't. So the Ithkul could be Representative for example or the Sakkra could be Unification. Unique is also a choice that may show up.

There are several other Good Mods that are worth Mention that are Must haves Gofur's UI and Otsego's Diplomacy Mods. Otsego also made a MegaMod he named Otsego 0.85. it Plays very well. And for more flavor Richy's Ethos Mod is a good one too.

JosEPh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users