Windows 10 Will Not Be Stopped!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SIEGE109 #1 Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Saw it coming a mile off...

I return to my computer to find a prompt asking me whether to install Windows 10.  I click on "no", but Windows Update starts downloading it anyway.  Luckily I cancelled it in time.  The obvious next step is to just install it without asking and not to let you cancel it.  If they go that far it will be time for a class action law suit.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #2 Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

Captain

• Players
It's AI. Genesys is a Skynet.

Edited by JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, 01 December 2015 - 09:40 PM.

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

diehardtwinsfan #3 Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
if you have Windows 8, you should upgrade to 10.  It's a massive improvement over 8.

RayFowler #4 Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostSIEGE109, on 01 December 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

I return to my computer to find a prompt asking me whether to install Windows 10.  I click on "no", but Windows Update starts downloading it anyway.  Luckily I cancelled it in time.  The obvious next step is to just install it without asking and not to let you cancel it.  If they go that far it will be time for a class action law suit.

I had this problem but didn't catch it, but fortunately the update failed. I had to go into my settings and turn off all auto-updating.

Will probably end up switching to Linux in a few months.

Master of Orion fan since 1993

RayFowler #5 Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postdiehardtwinsfan, on 01 December 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

if you have Windows 8, you should upgrade to 10.  It's a massive improvement over 8.

You do understand that Windows 10 logs everything you type, browse and say to your computer and uploads it to Microsoft's servers, right? It also generates a unique "advertising ID" for you and shares that, along with the other info, to "trusted" 3rd parties.

This is not tin-foil hat territory. None of this was in Windows 8, but these are the default settings in 10 and you have to dig through your settings to turn everything off.

I prefer that my computer work for me, not Microsoft, advertisers and/or the NSA.  I've been running Microsoft OS's since MS-DOS 2.11 and apparently the road ends at Windows 8.

Master of Orion fan since 1993

MadMerlyn #6 Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostRayFowler, on 02 December 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

You do understand that Windows 10 logs everything you type, browse and say to your computer and uploads it to Microsoft's servers, right? It also generates a unique "advertising ID" for you and shares that, along with the other info, to "trusted" 3rd parties.

This is not tin-foil hat territory. None of this was in Windows 8, but these are the default settings in 10 and you have to dig through your settings to turn everything off.

I prefer that my computer work for me, not Microsoft, advertisers and/or the NSA.  I've been running Microsoft OS's since MS-DOS 2.11 and apparently the road ends at Windows 8.

Saying it's not tin-foil hat territory doesn't mean it's not tin-foil hat territory. For one, datalogging all of the keystrokes, browsing history, and Cortana queries would require a server infrastructure far more massive than would be feasible for even a giant like MS to have.

Also, your theory relies solely on the use of Microsoft products exclusively, unless you believe Win10 also has some malware built in to save browsing history from Firefox and Chrome, as well as recording all DNS requests and timestamping them. If even half of your claims were true netsec firms all over would be rampaging about it, hacktivist groups like Anon would be attacking it, and the media would be crucifying Microsoft every 15 seconds.

The only valid point I can glean for your unbacked claims are, yes, Microsoft probably does generate an advertising profile based upon queries you make through Cortana (which I'd wager most people don't even use that feature, I know I don't), just like Google does with its search engine. If you're concerned about privacy you shouldn't be using publicly owned search engines.

diehardtwinsfan #7 Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:57 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostRayFowler, on 02 December 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

I think you are confusing Microsoft with Google and Apple.

voidstalker_woe #8 Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostSIEGE109, on 01 December 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

That, and make them pay the cost for changing over to an alternate OS, plus fees for your training with said OS and it's apps, plus damages for lost data, and heck, anything else.  No way should any software company be allowed to try to force it's newer version on customers.   Perhaps a law that requires a checkable box, that once checked, disallows any further attempts to upgrade.
Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users