StarDrive 2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

plasmacannontime #1 Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

Commander

• Players

Stardrive 2 looks very much like a MOO2.1

It has NO STAR LANES.

It is a 4x space strategy game with tactical, pausable, real-time combat of your customized ships.

It has the Human race, a bear-like Kulrathi race, a spying race called the Draylock, a mechanical race etc.

It's ground combat goes X-Com style and you can fight automated drones or aliens that hatched from leathery eggs.

It's worth a look.

http://stardrivegame.com/

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

Vahouth #2 Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

I've played it. Overall it's a really good game, especially considering the fact it is a one man project! ;)

The only thing I didn't like though is ground combat. It's not exactly "epic" and it REALLY bogs down gameplay.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #3 Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

Captain

• Players
X-COM 2, folks !

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Poll from Zorg : Combat is the Core for MOO Universe 4x Strategy

Poll from Zorg : No LOOT in MOO/CtS

Lucian667 #4 Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I'd agree with Vahouth about the totally deterministic, chess-like ground combat? What the hell was Zero (the author of SD2) thinking? Also I dont really like the idea of real-time tactical combat although I admit I have never played Stardrive 2 so he might well have implemented it brilliantly, I just have my doubts that tactical depth, detail and meaningful choices can be done well in an RT format, pausable or not.

Still, Stardrive 2 seems a lot closer to the MOO spirit than MOO 4 currently does. Maybe they should fire the MOO 3 consultants and hire Zero?  :)

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #5 Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Captain

• Players
Imo, SD2 is a cheap game. I would have prefered a well polished SD1, which never had been done as it was promised.

"Nice pictures, nice UI, balance and a good AI" © "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"

Alexencandar #6 Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Yeah, I would say the ground combat is Stardrive 2's worst feature. Incredibly slow and relatively easy.

OrionSol #7 Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

Captain

• Players

I hope the Devs see, people are considering, the biggest fans of MoO are going to other games to get what they are looking for... 

Starlanes are going to kill this nearly dead title. 

Jedi Master Or-ion Sol

Founder of THE JEDI ORDER | Community of Guilds 

www.jediswtor.com 

Lucian667 #8 Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostOrionSol, on 26 January 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

I hope the Devs see, people are considering, the biggest fans of MoO are going to other games to get what they are looking for... 

Starlanes are going to kill this nearly dead title. 

I doubt they'll kill it, but they'll definitely drag it down so far that the rest of the game will have to be breathtakingly amazing to make up for it. That's a mill-stone that no game needs hanging around its neck. I really wish they'd release some details on tactical combat so that I can finally decide whether to give this game up for dead and move on to Stellaris or not.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #9 Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 27 January 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

I really wish they'd release some details on tactical combat so that I can finally decide whether to give this game up for dead and move on to Stellaris or not.

Tactical combat and starships constructor are what makes this game different from Civ. Devs have their time to make it flawless while I'm playing XCOM2.

Edited by JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, 27 January 2016 - 03:45 PM.

Lucian667 #10 Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostJeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, on 27 January 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

Tactical combat and starships constructor are what makes this game different from Civ. Devs have their time to make it flawless while I'm playing XCOM2.

Yes, the thought that Tacical combat and ship construction might actually be good is the only thing keeping me here after finding out that forced starlanes are an unavoidable reality. I agree that they should take as long as necessary to do a good job and get it right because this will really decide whether I purchase or not.

JosEPh_II #11 Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

Captain

• Players

Because of your conversations about SD2 I purchased SD1 and Horizon from Steam a couple of days ago. I'm finding both initially entertaining, but Horizon is more MoO2ish than SD impo. I can see in SD some elements that Bob Smith used for his Armada 2526 and Armada2526-Supernova games.

And I got both games on sale for under $15. :)

SD2 at $29.99 I'll probably hold off until it goes on sale.

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Vahouth #12 Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players
I don't know much about Stardrive 1, but Stardrive 2 is pretty much a MoO2 clone. 

Lucian667 #13 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:35 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 30 January 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

I don't know much about Stardrive 1, but Stardrive 2 is pretty much a MoO2 clone. 

I dont actually have Stardrive 1, but my understanding is that it was a broken, unplayable mess. Not as broken as MOO 3 of course but the word is that SD2 corrected a lot of SD1's game-breaking problems and made it at least playable. Whether it's actually fun or not I dont know, I keep meaning to buy SD2 at some point and find out but I never seem to get around to it.

Anguille_1 #14 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 30 January 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

I would disagree in the sense that the only way to victory is total conquest which i don't like....i still have hopes with the DLC.

Playing MOO since 1993

Playing MOO Conquer the Stars on GOG Galaxy

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

JosEPh_II #15 Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 30 January 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

I dont actually have Stardrive 1, but my understanding is that it was a broken, unplayable mess. Not as broken as MOO 3 of course but the word is that SD2 corrected a lot of SD1's game-breaking problems and made it at least playable. Whether it's actually fun or not I dont know, I keep meaning to buy SD2 at some point and find out but I never seem to get around to it.

SD1 is playable. And it's on sale for $5.99 till tomorrow. I don't usually go on the "word is" trail when I pick a game. Being a math major with statistical background I don't go on the he said she said "word"/reviews. The bad will always get overblown and the good will always still be there.

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Lucian667 #16 Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:21 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostJosEPh_II, on 31 January 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

SD1 is playable. And it's on sale for $5.99 till tomorrow. I don't usually go on the "word is" trail when I pick a game. Being a math major with statistical background I don't go on the he said she said "word"/reviews. The bad will always get overblown and the good will always still be there.

JosEPh

Thanks for the free unsolicited purchasing advice but I think I'll stick to my tried and true method of relying on reviews, steam comments and other general internet buzz, most of which is not very complimentary when it comes to SD1. Its not about the money, life is just too short to waste time on a badly designed, broken lemon when there are so many games out there that are actually reasonable or at least not broken.

On the other hand I have heard some interesting and complimentary things said about SD2 and fully intend to pick it up at some point.

JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg #17 Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

Captain

• Players

Here is a new 4x and pausable RTS combat

Edited by JeanBaptisteEmanuelZorg, 10 February 2016 - 10:41 AM.

Vahouth #18 Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Vice Admiral

• Players
I'm getting SoaSE vibes. 

plasmacannontime #19 Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostJosEPh_II, on 30 January 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Because of your conversations about SD2 I purchased SD1 and Horizon from Steam a couple of days ago. I'm finding both initially entertaining, but Horizon is more MoO2ish than SD impo. I can see in SD some elements that Bob Smith used for his Armada 2526 and Armada2526-Supernova games.

And I got both games on sale for under $15. :)

SD2 at $29.99 I'll probably hold off until it goes on sale.

JosEPh

I saw Horizon on Steam.

It had these listed below. Some of which, we are waiting to be included into MOO4.

"Key Features

• Advanced turn-based tactical combat which many 4X fans have been requesting for years
  • Full Tactical ship control includes managing movement, weapons and more. Board other ships, attack from planetary and orbital defenses"

MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, MOO4 trending downward, getting older waiting for a MOO5 (a modern version of mostly MOO2).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users