These aren't the Droids your looking for.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

voidstalker_woe #1 Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

Captain

• Players

So...In my beloved MOO2, there was this nifty little Tech, that allowed me to 'build' a population unit for a mere 50 production.  I have little info on using the farmers or scientists, as I almost exclusively used the workers.  This was due to more than once crashing my game by moving them from one job to another.

These aren't the droids your looking for

Ok, so we see what we had in MOO2, and by linking one of the great moments in entertainment history, where "the force can have a strong influence on the weak minded", I open the way in folks minds to the idea that the Androids in MOO2 might not be the end all be all of what could have been...

What if...

We already have the "Battleoids" tech in MOO2, but my take on that is it's an upgrade of an armored, crewed vehicle, whereas "Battle Droids" would make for a cheap, disposable infantry force, that could be built in numbers, transported cheaply, and if not exactly crack troops, well, was it Stalin that said "Quantity and a Quality all it's own".  That being said, lets say that a transport of Battle Droids holds more of them, like maybe 8 or even 12, but they can only be used in either massive ground assaults or in defense against same, so they cannot garrison an enemy planet after conquest as they are only good at fighting all out, and are not versatile enough for other duties, where a mind is required.  Say the Battle Droids fight at a big penalty compared to the building race's Militia, so not exactly a huge plus in limited numbers, but if they arrive in quantity upon the battlefield...

I would envision follow on Tech increasing the recovery rate of the damaged units scrap value in reducing losses.  When marines fall in battle, they are just gone.  When a BD falls in battle, then even the earliest model can get some units back to operational status by scavenging parts from the scrap heap left in the after math of a major battle, and if this recovery rate gets better with additional techs researched, then...

Or how about...

We could have some sort of these fellows, that could come in very handy if we made the following assumptions:  A Probe Droid would be a stealthy recon ship, fully automated, that would travel to a system and establish a hidden LP/OP, for the purpose of keeping a clandestine eye upon a system, as well as counting as a ship with the best currently available sensors looking for signs of enemy ships in nearby solar systems, or approaching the system they have been sent to.  Early version might simply self destruct when an enemy arrives, but with additional Techs, might be able to either evacuate just before the arrival of an enemy, or even, in the advanced models, attempt to remain in stealthy operation within the system.  I would see these Probe Droids as lookouts along the frontier, and because they are just machinery, would be a more stealthy alternative to the emplacement of a regular outpost, whose presence is noted automatically when you raise your flag.

And then, of Course...

Kyle Reese: The 600 series had rubber skinWe spotted them easybut these are new. They look human — sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot...

For the purposes of a straight up battle, you would always want to use masses of cheap Battle Droids, but for covert infiltration nothing less than the best would be worth sending, in tiny numbers.  This to me would be the only real way that diverse races could really have spies in each others territory, let alone assassins.  Human agents on a Silicoid or Klaxon inhabited planet are really going to have a hard time trying to stay covert, but if your race has a captive population of another race, and you take the time to study them closely, then maybe, just maybe, you could field your very own Infiltration Droids.  More Techs researched could allow for broader missions with increased chances of success.

So this could be what we would see in the Tech tree to start things off.

Basically, I would want to see many different option added to the game, where we could click on a check box and enable additional, extensive content to allow folks to play the game they want to play.

Edited by voidstalker_woe, 08 February 2016 - 08:23 AM.

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

voidstalker_woe #2 Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:01 AM

Captain

• Players

So to start this off right, I would want to have the Androids be re-assignable, meaning that only one type of Android would exist, and they could be switched from one task to another just like regular population units.  Also, the Androids should be identical with the race building them, and then get their bonuses applied, in other words, for a +2 framing race, they would get the +2 bonus, and then get their +3 Android bonus on top of that.  Likewise, if the race were bad farmers, then their Androids would likewise be as well, but with the +3 Android bonus, that really wouldn't matter much.  Additionally, on worlds where androids built by diferent races exist, there should be a way to upgrade the software packages, so that the androids can become the best that either race could have built.  In other words, say a Psilon world falls to a race with a +2 production bonus, and the world already has Psilon based Androids upon it at time of conquest, then this world could now build androids with +2 production and +2 science as the 'base', from which the +3 android bonuses would then be built on, meaning that in such a case, the new androids would have a +5 bonus in both science and production, and a +3 in farming, depending on which task they are assigned to at a given time.

Next post, I will go over the other 'droids' that would be added to the game....

Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

voidstalker_woe #3 Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

Captain

• Players

Testing Imgur

failure!  :(

says 'cannot save the url specified'?

have to get back to work, darn it....lol

Got it working, see OP.  Is there a way for me to just delete a post now that it is not needed?

Edited by voidstalker_woe, 08 February 2016 - 08:25 AM.

M002mod #4 Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:48 PM

Commander

• Players

because the link that Imgure gives you is not correct 

you need to manually edit it and removed some crap at begin and end of your pasted link

voidstalker_woe #5 Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 07 February 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

because the link that Imgure gives you is not correct 

you need to manually edit it and removed some crap at begin and end of your pasted link

AHHA!  I'll paste here and you can tell me what has to go!  Thanks again, my friend.:)

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="g6OzyMK"><a href="//imgur.com/g6OzyMK">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="g6OzyMK" data-context="false"><a href="//imgur.com/g6OzyMK">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by voidstalker_woe, 08 February 2016 - 04:39 AM.

voidstalker_woe #6 Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:39 AM

Captain

• Players
Still no luck figuring this out, back tomorrow.

voidstalker_woe #7 Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:51 AM

Captain

• Players

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="g6OzyMK"><a href="//imgur.com/g6OzyMK">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OMG!!!!  I finally got this working....

MUHAHAhahhahahahahaha........

Edited by voidstalker_woe, 08 February 2016 - 06:52 AM.

voidstalker_woe #8 Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Captain

• Players
New post, to bring folks in to see the edits that I have finally managed to figure out, lol.  OP has been heavily modified.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users