Steam vs GoG

Steam GoG Multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

newreality #1 Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:34 PM

Ensign

• Players

Hello Folks. I'm looking forward to the Early Access. I'm not sure how to purchase the game and I have a couple questions.

What are advantages and disadvantages of buying the game from Steam or GoG? I have not used either, I have always been suspicious of Steam and I don;t know anything about GoG.

When I buy from one platform, can I play with a friend or family member who purchases the game from another platform? (ie. If I buy it from GoG, can I play with my friend who bought from Steam?)

Thanks!

----------------------

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

~Dr. Who

JamieK81 #2 Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:16 AM

Commander

• Players

Well, from experience, steam is my go to digital game purchases, but GoG sell alot of the older games, like Fragile Allegiance, Conquest - Frontier Wars, Legions of Iron and so on....the only downside to the old games is that they were never updated to take advantage of HD resolutions, so games like Legions of Iron, while it worked on Windows 7 and 8, its resolution was so 4x3 exclusive, that if you played on a Widescreen monitor and played on anything higher then 800x600, you lose part of the GUI of the game, which can prevent progress due to losing some of the technologies to research, which are one of the mission objectives and how can you progress if you can't click on the tech and click on research?

Both companies are pretty good, but when it comes to DRM, GoG tends to remove them, obviously with the developer/producer's permission....but i am not sure if that is the case with games that need UPlay, like Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Anguille_1 #3 Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

Captain

• Players
GOG is very good and DRM free. Steam has made a lot of progess and is less intrusive as it used to be (you can play offline). I suppose it shouldn't be a problem to play MP with both of them as they are released on both platforms at the same time.

Playing MOO since 1993

Playing MOO Conquer the Stars on GOG Galaxy

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

Marsellus_Wallace #4 Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Ensign

• Players

Well from a big-picture point of view I would recommend you buy from GoG, since the games are DRM free. Especially high profile games like Master of Orion should probably be bought on GoG, because it tells publishers that selling a game DRM free can be worthwile.

Also GoG now has a (completely optional) Steam-like client that manages your games. Think auto-updates, friends lists and so on.

The only big advantage of steam is the workshop. That's a place where modders can upload their Mods and you can easily install them via the steam interface. And once a popular game gets steam workshop support, a lot of modders tend to exclusively publish their mods there. So if you got your game from GoG you'll have to go without most of the Mods.

Vahouth #5 Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players
I'll get the GOG version. I already have the previous versions of MoO1&2 there.

Satoru1 #6 Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I'd like to point out that Steam/Steamworks is not synonymous with DRM

In fact you can sell a game on Steam, integrate literally every single Steamworks function under the sun, including MP, matchmaking, achievements, etc

And make it all 100% DRM free like Dragon Commander.

When I buy from one platform, can I play with a friend or family member who purchases the game from another platform? (ie. If I buy it from GoG, can I play with my friend who bought from Steam?)

This ultimately depends on how the developers code it. There's again nothing inherent about how Steam works that disallows this. As I noted above, Dragon Commander if it detects Steam will use Steam's matchmaking. But if Steam is not detected, you can play via 'old school' options like manually hosting/connecting games via IP address. GOG Galaxy 'in theory' has some kind of ability to play across platforms between GOG Galaxy and Steam. But I've yet to see this feature actually implemented so I'm not even sure if it exists at all other than in the list of 'stuff we still have to do even though we announced GOG Galaxy 2 years ago'

GOG now at least has Galaxy which is the only reason they can even do the Early Access. Since before they had no good way to automate distribution of patches to users before the Galaxy client, because do you really want to manually download and install 15 patches a month from now to reinstall the game?

The reality is that it ends up being an ideological question. If DRM free is that important to you, then GOG is probably you best option. Note for myself I prefer the convenience of Steam. And GOG Galaxy is even worse at library management than the steam client is, if that was even possible.

Edited by Satoru1, 25 February 2016 - 03:29 PM.

JamieK81 #7 Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Commander

• Players

While GoG is cool and all, i will be getting it on Steam, since knowing my brother, i will have to set my download speed on steam down to 256KB/s, even though as fullspeed i can get it in like 4 hours....it seems, i am supposed to wait 4 hours of his downloading, but i have to slow mine down. lol

Though in his defense i do alot of downloading, which is why i hope my fibre gets installed soon, it will solve the problem of bandwidth limitations.

Satoru1 #8 Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostJamieK81, on 25 February 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

While GoG is cool and all, i will be getting it on Steam, since knowing my brother, i will have to set my download speed on steam down to 256KB/s, even though as fullspeed i can get it in like 4 hours....it seems, i am supposed to wait 4 hours of his downloading, but i have to slow mine down. lol

Though in his defense i do alot of downloading, which is why i hope my fibre gets installed soon, it will solve the problem of bandwidth limitations.

Note GOG Galaxy does allow you to control the # of concurrent connections. Which should prevent the download from totally obliterating your limited connection?

I mean I'm not a big fan of GOG for various reasons but I don't think your particular problem is something that necessarily requires you to go with Steam.

tad10 #9 Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Commander

• Players
I prefer GoG but I gather it is a little slower than Steam and it's a big install. And I admit GoG is a little less polished than Steam,  but then GoG is the little guy compared to the behemoth of Steam so....

Edited by tad10, 25 February 2016 - 06:31 PM.

Anguille_1 #10 Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

Captain

• Players
Guess what....i think i'll end up buying it on both platforms. I've been on GOG for so long it's a great company and i've been very reluctant to DRM. However, in the last 2 years, i've come to like steam and i buy very often there now....it is convenient. Both GOG and Steam are complementary these days as you don't find the same games on both sides....

Playing MOO since 1993

Playing MOO Conquer the Stars on GOG Galaxy

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

NinjaLA #11 Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

Commander

• Players
I got it on GoG.   I love Cdprojekt so very much :D

Zeraan #12 Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I already have MoO 1,2,3 (yes, even 3) on GoG, so I got it for Steam so I can have MoO 1,2,3 there as well :)

HsojVvad #13 Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I got it on Steam for Steamworks. Mods. I think it will be easier to mod on Steam since I think most mods will be on there.

NinjaLA #14 Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:04 AM

Commander

• Players
I considered as well.. but I'll be darned if the witcher III wasn't my favorite game of the decade.. so I'll do anything I can to support those crazy cats at GOG :D

Vahouth #15 Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

Vice Admiral

• Players
My gog galaxy now officially has 6 titles! The Witcher, The Witcher 2, The Witcher 3 and MoO, MoO2, MoOCtS. :D

Jakajan #16 Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
I bought mine on GOG.

newreality #17 Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

Ensign

• Players

Everyone, thank you for the replies. It seems there are more for gog than are for steam. I like the DRM free attitude. So I'll probably lean that way when I go to purchase the game when I get home.

Happy conquering folks.

----------------------

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

~Dr. Who

trbeier #18 Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Captain

• Players
I purchased mine on Steam, my friend purchased it on GOG.  He sees NO multiplayer games, and I have too many.  So it looks like he is going to have to return it on GOG and buy on Steam so we can play, unless anyone knows a way to make it work?
“Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try.”
- Kutless

PostApocalypse #19 Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

Ensign

• Players

View PostSatoru1, on 25 February 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

I'd like to point out that Steam/Steamworks is not synonymous with DRM

While games can be sold without attached DRM in Steam the Steam Client itself still has as a form of DRM. This can cause some issues in rare cases even for games without bundled DRM.

Steam does have some desirable features in the client as well though as you mentioned.

Also tagged with Steam, GoG, Multiplayer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users