Lets be honest MOO1 and 2 combat sucked

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

NinjaLA #61 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

Commander

• Players

I think he was referring to moo2..  I agree.. moo1 for all of it's simplicity had some pretty useful tactics..      it also had an unfortunate habit of the AI retreating ad-infinitum.     but there is no reason that a real time game can't involve repulsor beams and missile spamming from the fringes until the ordinance runs out.    I'm pretty certain they are working on those very things.    

also, how's it hanging, javamoo :P (in another life I was gonna do art for your project (the first one)

stevev45 #62 Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 29 February 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

MoO2 battle awesomeness in battle is a collaboration effort of both ship customization & tactical battle management. This is the reason it is one of the best if not the best. IMO the same depth of management could be achieved in RT also if done right.

As for other games with deep tactical combat, I hold my breath for Battlefleet Gothic Armada.

I think this is right. If you just took the combat portion of MOO2 and only judged that by itself. It wouldn't get very good reviews. However, the whole game worked together extremely well, and in such a way that really built up combat. 

Provinfistoris #63 Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostRayFowler, on 01 March 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

Maybe we're playing a different game.

I've had fights in MOO1 where my stack of ships would kite the enemy missiles around the map while others moved in for the kill.

I've had fights where I used repulsors to push enemy ships around where I needed them, especially if they had 1-range weapons.

I've had fights where I lured defenders away and then teleported/bombed a colony into oblivion, forcing their fleet to retreat.

I've had fights where I've had to recloak ships while the torpedoes recharged.

I've had fights where my highly maneuvarable stack would move in, shoot, and then retreat out of range (<3 warp dissipators)

At no point in those particular battles was I thinking, "ok, move closer. now pew pew"

Yes! These are the tactics that gave MoO 2 battles tactical depth. Did no one ever use the gyro destabilizer? While sizeable it could really screw up an enemies ability to fight you. 

Sub-space teleporters gave you manueverability. If you think outside the box the combat doesn't have to be move forward pew pew pew! 

Anyone who never found alternate effective strategies must never have played with people, or if they did. They did so badly. I also expect they whined about "cheap" tactics as above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users