The "Z" key in MOO2

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: The "Z" key in MOO2 (18 members have cast votes)

Did you know about the "Z" key in MOO2?

1. Yes. I used it whenever I felt like it. (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, I never hit the "Z" key during a tactical space combat in MOO2. (1 vote [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. What does the "Z" key do? (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

voidstalker_woe #1 Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Captain

• Players
As the title says.
Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

voidstalker_woe #2 Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

Captain

• Players
If everyone knew and used the "Z" key in MOO2, why and how could they possibly have had any objection to turn based, tactical space combat for MOO4?
Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

Endsor #3 Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

Commander

• Players
Good point, so many dumb ppl say combat in MOO 2 was bad in late game because of too many ships. Duh, just use "Z" key until ships are manageable and then take control again. It aint rocket science.

voidstalker_woe #4 Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostEndsor, on 27 February 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

Good point, so many dumb ppl say combat in MOO 2 was bad in late game because of too many ships. Duh, just use "Z" key until ships are manageable and then take control again. It aint rocket science.

I have to start wondering, did WG know about the "Z" key feature in MOO2?  If they didn't, than that would explain much!  I read here the other day some guy saying something like, "tactical space combat in MOO2 took to long, you could "hit auto" and go to lunch, and when you got back the battle would still be going on", and I thought to myself, if you used the "Z" key, most battles would be over before you could get off your ass, let alone walk to the fridge, grab a pre-made sandwich, and walk back to your chair to sit back down.

So I ask again, of all the great and many voices that cry "takes too long" did you know about and USE the "Z" key?

BionicDance #5 Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

I've played MoO2 for ages, and I have never heard of this "Z-key" thing.

do know that there was something you could click that would make the action really fast, using AI, and if that's the same thing, well, hey, then I used it.

But if that's not what you're talking about, then, nope.

Vahouth #6 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

If everyone knew and used the "Z" key in MOO2, why and how could they possibly have had any objection to turn based, tactical space combat for MOO4?

I don't understand. Pressing "Z" would end the combat in seconds with no chance of control. What that has to do with objections to TB?

voidstalker_woe #7 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

do know that there was something you could click that would make the action really fast, using AI, and if that's the same thing, well, hey, then I used it.

That is the second slowest way to resolve tactical space combat!  The only option slower than that is to actually play it out manually.

BionicDance #8 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

That is the second slowest way to resolve tactical space combat!  The only option slower than that is to actually play it out manually.

If that was slow, I can't imagine what "fast" was, cuz clicking "Auto" made the combat over almost too quickly to watch.

Peo01 #9 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yeah, the Z key activates the fast forward auto combat.

Personally I prefer neither tbs or rts style combat.

They both have pros and cons, but I gotta be honest, even if it was turn based it would have to be graphically updated and streamlined.

Think X-COM remakes compared to old X-COM.

It's kinda sad that the rts battles are more than just "unpolished" right now, because I think they'll be tons of fun

once balancing and interface are improved and the missing content is added.

I mean, it's basically Imperium Galactica II's combat with actual interactions and not just "occasionally click on stuff and go into camera mode".

@poll

MoO 2's late game combat is basically hit Z and flip the page on the book I'm currently reading. :P

voidstalker_woe #10 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 27 February 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

I don't understand. Pressing "Z" would end the combat in seconds with no chance of control. What that has to do with objections to TB?

Because anyone who is objecting to TB, is doing so based upon the false belief that TB takes to long, but the "Z" key proves that whole line of arguments false.  I would use "Z" when I got bored with one-sided battles, where I was either clearly going to win, or clearly going to loose, and wanted to get to the next turn.

As a set of options, MOO2 had the best of them, as built right into the game, you could have selected any of 4 ways to resolve star ship battles, and these options didn't need to be changed at all, because they work for everybody.  If they bothered to use them, that is.

Vahouth #11 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Because anyone who is objecting to TB, is doing so based upon the false belief that TB takes to long, but the "Z" key proves that whole line of arguments false.  I would use "Z" when I got bored with one-sided battles, where I was either clearly going to win, or clearly going to loose, and wanted to get to the next turn.

As a set of options, MOO2 had the best of them, as built right into the game, you could have selected any of 4 ways to resolve star ship battles, and these options didn't need to be changed at all, because they work for everybody.  If they bothered to use them, that is.

Yeah, Z is ok for one-sided battles but there were also battles that you must take control of and could be a drag fest.

voidstalker_woe #12 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

If that was slow, I can't imagine what "fast" was, cuz clicking "Auto" made the combat over almost too quickly to watch.

You still have MOO2 installed?  get a game up and running, and let/give the AI's multiple maxed out star systems, go into a massive battle, and then hit the old "Z" key.  If you have recording software, come back here and post your video, we'll all get a laugh and some good memories!

Vahouth #13 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players
Yeah auto was not quick enough. Maybe 2x or 4x?

BionicDance #14 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

You still have MOO2 installed?  get a game up and running, and let/give the AI's multiple maxed out star systems, go into a massive battle, and then hit the old "Z" key.  

I had a save game still up, and attacked Antares. I pressed the "Z" key.

...this illuminated the "Auto" button as if I'd clicked it. It's the same thing.

Edited by BionicDance, 27 February 2016 - 05:25 PM.

Endsor #15 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

...this illuminated the "Auto" button as if I'd clicked it. It's the same thing.

Yes I always assumed this was the case.

View PostVahouth, on 27 February 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

This simply is not true. It only ends in few seconds for tiny combats. For huge combats where there are too many ships you just press z and then wait until ship number is manageable (or all enemy dead) which takes MANY times longer than few seconds, then press z again and take control of smaller manageable battle. You have control to press again and regain control. Has nobody but me ever done this? It solves all "too big to manage" problem which ppl complain about.

Edit: Correction I test for myself and "Z" is indeed much faster than "auto" apologies Vahouth is right about "z"

Edited by Endsor, 27 February 2016 - 05:59 PM.

voidstalker_woe #16 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

I had a save game still up, and attacked Antares. I pressed the "Z" key.

No, not at all.  The AUTO button, you get each ship moving and firing, one after another, just a bit faster than normal, and both sides controlled by the computer.  With the "Z" key, combat is a blur.  What kind of machine are you running the game on?  I have MOO2 on an old win XP machine, and have never tried to install it on 7 or later machines.

BionicDance #17 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Block Quote

What kind of machine are you running the game on?  I have MOO2 on an old win XP machine, and have never tried to install it on 7 or later machines. 

Okay, I admit, I'm on a Win 8.1 machine that was built primarily for CGI animation...but that doesn't change what happened when I hit "Z": the "Auto" button illuminated, and the battle went as fast as clicking "Auto" ever did.

D'know what else to tell you.

Edited by BionicDance, 27 February 2016 - 05:42 PM.

voidstalker_woe #18 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Okay, I admit, I'm on a Win 8.1 machine that was built primarily for CGI animation...but that doesn't change what happened when I hit "Z": the "Auto" button illuminated, and the battle went as fast as clicking "Auto" ever did.

D'know what else to tell you.

I don't know how to post movies, even the dinky little 30 second ones I can make using freeware, but I just fought a very short (One surviving Antaren frigate/destroyer after the ASN took it's toll), battle and combat was clearly different between the two options.  In "Z", there was a brief clash and then the battle was over, whereas when I actually used the AUTO button itself, I had time to see the GB death rays fire on and destroy the Antaren ship.

When you click on auto, do you have time to see the individual ships move and weapons fire?  From the sounds of it, you seem to be having a different gaming experience than I am.  Perhaps because I have an older machine?

Edited by voidstalker_woe, 27 February 2016 - 05:57 PM.

BionicDance #19 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

When you click on auto, do you have time to see the individual ships and weapons fire?  From the sounds of it, you seem to be having a different gamin experience than I am.  Perhaps because I have an older machine?

That might be the case...everything is faster than I remember when MoO2 was new, including things like scrolling around the combat map (which is sometimes too fast).

I guess that kind of makes it irrelevant now, at least for my own playing of the game. And I enjoy playing out the combat, anyway; I usually only use Auto for mopping up when I know a battle is mine.

voidstalker_woe #20 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostEndsor, on 27 February 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Yes I always assumed this was the case.

This simply is not true. It only ends in few seconds for tiny combats. For huge combats where there are too many ships you just press z and then wait until ship number is manageable (or all enemy dead) which takes MANY times longer than few seconds, then press z again and take control of smaller manageable battle. You have control to press again and regain control. Has nobody but me ever done this? It solves all "too big to manage" problem which ppl complain about.

You know what, I think we have inadvertently discovered that perhaps, just perhaps, MOO2 behaves differently on different machines.  On every machine I have ever played MOO2 on, auto is faster than normal, but "Z" is a blur.

I also have always played the windows version, and NOT the dosbox version, so perhaps that is the difference?

What version are you guys with no difference between "auto" & "Z" use, dos or win?

Edited by voidstalker_woe, 27 February 2016 - 05:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users