The "Z" key in MOO2

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: The "Z" key in MOO2 (18 members have cast votes)

Did you know about the "Z" key in MOO2?

1. Yes. I used it whenever I felt like it. (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, I never hit the "Z" key during a tactical space combat in MOO2. (1 vote [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. What does the "Z" key do? (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Endsor #21 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Commander

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

I don't know how to post movies, even the dinky little 30 second ones I can make using freeware, but I just fought a very short (One surviving Antaren frigate/destroyer after the ASN took it's toll), battle and combat was clearly different between the two options.  In "Z", there was a brief clash and then the battle was over, whereas when I actually used the AUTO button itself, I had time to see the GB death rays fire on and destroy the Antaren ship.

When you click on auto, do you have time to see the individual ships and weapons fire?  From the sounds of it, you seem to be having a different gamin experience than I am.  Perhaps because I have an older machine?

Yes i just test myself and I am mistaken about this. "Z" is much faster than auto. Vahouth is right z makes even huge battle over in second or two but auto makes it watchable and you can take control again mid battle.

BionicDance #22 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View Postvoidstalker_woe, on 27 February 2016 - 09:56 AM, said:

I also have always played the windows version, and NOT the dosbox version, so perhaps that is the difference?

There is a WIndows version and not a DOSBox version??? Where can I get that?

voidstalker_woe #23 Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

There is a WIndows version and not a DOSBox version??? Where can I get that?

it's on the original disk, where else I do not know.
Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

BionicDance #24 Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

You know, I might still have the original disc kicking around somewhere. I may have to go digging for it. 

Thanks.

voidstalker_woe #25 Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 27 February 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

You know, I might still have the original disc kicking around somewhere. I may have to go digging for it. 

Thanks.

Your most welcome, and glad I may have been able to contribute something good to another's day!
Further more, I believe that we must start building a better MoO5 now, for only by doing so can we get tomorrow's game, today!

JosEPh_II #26 Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Captain

• Players

I'm amazed by the players that did Not want the late game battles handled manually. That was The Cat's Meow for me. Directing each ship in ever way possible, from assigning only  the beams to hit that enemy ship but firing the missiles at another, etc.

Nope never used the Z key cause I wanted control. Rarely if ever used the Auto unless it was for mop up so I could either take the planet or bomb it back to stone age.

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Stelar_7 #27 Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

Captain

• Players
I did know about the Auto button. It always made poor tatical decisions. I'm not sure what you are getting at. 

MOO2MOD #28 Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostStelar_7, on 07 April 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

I did know about the Auto button. It always made poor tatical decisions. I'm not sure what you are getting at. 

He is getting at the fact that the AUTO button and the Z key are different in speed of resolve, as explained in thread.

Stelar_7 #29 Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostMOO2MOD, on 07 April 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

He is getting at the fact that the AUTO button and the Z key are different in speed of resolve, as explained in thread.

Does the Z key still make horrid tatical decisions? 

voidstalker_woe #30 Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostStelar_7, on 07 April 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

I honestly couldn't say, as even though my best computer is not all that fast, I can never keep tract of what is going on, as the battle is way to fast for me to see.

My point here has nothing to do with how good or bad {AUTO} or {Z} combat resolution is, merely that as options go, MoO2 has all that are needed.  It turns out that there was at least one poster that honestly didn't know the difference between the two, and at least one other that had used both but saw no difference due to having a scary badd-ass computer playing the dos-box version.

Covering it again, MoO2 had the options needed for any level of interest in tactical space combat, from being able to turn it off at game creation, zip through it with "Z", automate it using the AUTO button and watch how the ships and weapons are used, or actually play it out manually.  Any game that comes after MoO2, needs to improve upon these 4 options, not replace them, ignore them, or just go an entirely different way.

Endsor #31 Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostStelar_7, on 07 April 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

Since the only reason for ever using it would be to rapidly resolve the battle between your 34 doomstars and his 20 frigates does it really matter? If the odds were more even you would not want rapid automation anyway.

Moo4 #32 Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

Captain

• Players

Manual control of 3-8 ships vs 3-8 ships was MoO2 at its best.    However, that only existed for a few hundred turns in any given game.  Outside of those turns battles become 1-sided and monotonous.

People complain about sluggish late game combat (myself included!) but the game is already won by that point.  (Against AI's).  

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users