Moo2: strategy tips for non-custom races

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

drewklar #1 Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:10 AM

Commander

• Players

While waiting for a few more Early Access patches to come out I was going to fire up MOO2 again.

Typically I pick a non-custom,random race and a very large or huge galaxy to play with all the other races.

What's a good general strategy to follow with that starting scenario and good difficulty level to pick that doesn't result in too much "gimicking"  to beat the AI?

I've played a lot of MOO1 decently,but was never that good with MOO2, so that's why I'm asking for some general tips, since I haven't played MOO2 in around eight years.

drewklar #2 Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

Commander

• Players

Also, I found a strategy guide here.  Seems dated but looks thorough and also gives some optimal gameplay tips:

http://masteroforion...tegy-guide.html

EDIT: it appears this guide is more oriented towards multiplayer rather than single-player.

JamieK81 #3 Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

Commander

• Players
Most people tend to always pick custom races, because they either want to play their own style or to simply gimp themselves for the added challenge and i custom my race too, i never use the default races, which is why i am surprised the developers didn't put in custom races from the get go, since most, if not all players will pick custom races so they can play how they want.

M002mod #4 Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostJamieK81, on 28 February 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

Most people tend to always pick custom races, because they either want to play their own style or to simply gimp themselves for the added challenge and i custom my race too, i never use the default races, which is why i am surprised the developers didn't put in custom races from the get go, since most, if not all players will pick custom races so they can play how they want.

i saw some german moo4 review on youtube (don't have a link now unfort.) that showed a custom race screen in the game.

so i guess it will be put in, in some upcoming iteration of the EA game

edit

here it is:

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/376-postman-from-russia-most-interesting-info-extracted-from-ru-forum-edge-of-the-map-starts-here/page__st__560__pid__8163#entry8163

starting at 7:40

Edited by M002mod, 28 February 2016 - 10:32 PM.

M002mod #5 Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:40 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostEmP64213, on 28 February 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

I've been playing with stock (non-custom) races lately. The games were "all average" meaning medium galaxy size, 4 players, average difficulty and other settings on average. The games where relaxing and fun especially mid-game. There were some shenanigans like one AI surrendering to the other and giving it a cheap win on next election. Main difference for me was more pronounced diplomacy, AI is more cooperative on lower difficulty levels and not being repulsive yourself also helps there. Strategy depends very much on the race you've chosen, unsurprisingly. It's not so much different then with custom races.

Avg difficulty, a bit rusty are we Emp64213?

:)

but yes, a.i. surrendering can be a bit quirky from time to time

@drewklar:

what works really well in moo2 games is strategic focus, and building races upon picks that reinforce eachother; examples-

strong research races, based in Democracy & tech bonuses

strong production races for quick expansion, based on Unification

strong war races, for quick action based on the Feudal government

some classic strong moo2 races are

DemoLith,R+1

UniAqua,P+2,LRHW

UniTol,P+1,LHW

TeleFeud,P+2,LRHW with TransDimensional

these are four very good ones, but there are many more and variations are endless really

NinjaLA #6 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

Commander

• Players

goes to show you can learn something new even after decades...    because of a comment somewhere in this forum, I went back and checked the settings button for probably the first time in 10 years in moo2... and discovered an unchecked option for 'ship initiative'   so this.. do this when you play..  seriously click the box.

I've played thousands of hours of moo2 and I never noticed (or totally forgot about) that option..  without it all of the ships of one side move before all of the ships of another side.. with it enabled instead it alternates depending on ship speeds..    

it ain't changing my mind about a certain other debate raging on this forum though :P

neilkaz #7 Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I'll link to some threads where I describe games I played using the standard game races. Often I give lots of detail about starting strats.

http://forums.civfan...ad.php?t=452262

http://forums.civfan...ad.php?t=499259

http://forums.civfan...ad.php?t=488195

http://forums.civfan...ad.php?t=439801

JosEPh_II #8 Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

Captain

• Players

neilkaz,

Do you use the same username at CFC?

JosEPh (Caveman2Cosmos Mod Team member)

MOO2mod,

Is your CFC user Rocco.40?

Wow is the edit function here whacky or what?!!

Edited by JosEPh_II, 17 March 2016 - 08:21 PM.

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Moo4 #9 Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

Captain

• Players

Omniscient Elerians can mess with computer AI.  The AI doesn't calculate a planet's potential--only the current value.  This means when an enemy takes over a monster-guarded ultra-rich and has 1 pop on it--just go and demand it from them.  Almost guaranteed to receive an awesome free planet (assuming relations are decent).

Other races are capable of this with appropriate use of scouting--just easier with omniscient.  

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

Francois424 #10 Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 28 February 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

i saw some german moo4 review on youtube (don't have a link now unfort.) that showed a custom race screen in the game.

so i guess it will be put in, in some upcoming iteration of the EA game

edit

here it is:

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/376-postman-from-russia-most-interesting-info-extracted-from-ru-forum-edge-of-the-map-starts-here/page__st__560__pid__8163#entry8163

starting at 7:40

Thanks for this...  +1

So no Aquatic(Ocean Uber), no Subterranean, spying penalties are only worth -5 each (or -10 for both penalties) where tolerant is still a whooping 100 (I 'm deciding values in my mind to equal moo2 levels, tolerant(no pollution) @100 =10 in Moo2, it fits).  They should also allow small/tiny/huge/ultrapoor homeworlds (for added challenges). Also, no penalty for being low-g? it's only advantages from the list... odd.

Still from the list in question, I can already see a few negatives worth taking to make a good race (-research, -10% morale, -assimilation, the 2 spying penalties, and ground combat penalty total point gained 30+40+5+5+5, So 185pts for good picks.  Not caring about one's Homeworld (you do start with a colony ship afterall)  you could add desert/poor Homeworld for an extra 60pts, not having creative worth 80points means more wiggle room,   and concentrate your efforts once the game begins on food/research on the Homeworld.  As long as you can survive the first 50 turns, you're golden.

Really want oceanic/subterranean to make it's way into the game at some point tho.

Definitely going for volcano uber in the meantime.  Tough luck wanting to Terraform my planets, muahah.

Edited by Francois424, 19 March 2016 - 05:52 AM.

durabigael #11 Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

Ensign

• Players

For me custom race give a lot of different way to play the game.

Easiest way to finish the game. Charismatic ,Telepathic and whatever else you want. NOBODY  will attack you and AI even vote for you. Finish a game without having to do a single fight.

My favorite race is. Lithovore , Subterran , +50% pop grow. Repulsive -10% in spying.  That race is a plague .....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users