Community Feedback Thread | The Galaxy Map

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

BionicDance #21 Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Block Quote

Rather see red starlanes work as wormholes.  You can see them from the beginning but you can't use them till mid-to-end game.  They should travel long distances, not to the next star system over.

Ooh, now that's a good idea.

I liked the wormholes in MoO2; they added an interesting element to the game. The way people say starlanes add strategy...? I disagree. But wormholes did add some strategy, because the enemy could flank you using them, by passing the frontlines and coming in from behind. 

But you could use 'em right away, which, granted, I didn't mind...but forcing the player to have tech before they can take advantage of that, well, advantage, before they can cross have the galaxy in one go...yeah, I like that.

Harper73 #22 Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

Commander

• Players

I thought the game did have worm holes.

I do think it would still work with Star Lanes.

Mathias_Zealot #23 Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:19 AM

Captain

• Players
it has wormholes; they just take the place of a whole system (or two each, if you want to be technical)
EA4 Weapon Data (5-27-16)

Mermut #24 Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

First, I'd love the ability to 'customize' the general map settings with options like people have been mentioning (average number of planets per system, etc) as well as map editors.

Secondly, while I wasn't sure about it at first, I like the warp lanes. It allows some nice tactical defenses... and makes you think hard about colonizing that system with just one crappy planet to keep your borders 'connected' and hence, more secure.

OkeOzkilic #25 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

Ensign

• Players
  • The game needs a shortcut key for back and cancel actions (menus & windows). Right mouse button would be a very good choice in this case.
  • Dragging and selecting multiple ships in the galaxy map is also required.

Edited by OkeOzkilic, 02 March 2016 - 03:54 PM.

CharlesDietrich #26 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:55 PM

Ensign

• Players

Terraforming:

It's been a while since I played MOO but terraforming is one of the best aspects of the game, it usually allowed fantastic growth. That growth is a bit limited here. I am glad that you get it early, so that you can see your terrformed colonies become powerhouses, but, perhaps this is an AI thing, the computer doesn't do it, so it gets OP very quickly. Usually if I can hold out for 50 - 75 turns, I have an industrial powerhouse that crushes all who dare oppose. 

Also - Were toxic planets always limited so harshly? is there nothing that can be done to allow some growth on a toxic planet that you grabbed only to secure uncontested access to a start system?

Growth:

Can you have a setting to determine what future population will be assigned to? early on in a colony's development I push at growth, so everyone needs to go into farming. Aside from continuously clicking on the side there is no way to enforce that. Or after that, I then fill up the farming bar entirely, next I want everyone focused on production, so all new people should go to production, without affecting the allocation that I have to farming. 

Military Outposts and Ships

Please let military outposts stop ships from travelling through them without an open borders treaty. it's really annoying. And I've seen Pirates just move on to my planets as well, without being able to engage them. 

StarFort #27 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

ORION: I'd like the Orion system to have 4 asteroid belts, like in MOO II, making it possible to more fully develop it.

FUEL: It's been interesting with no fuel restrictions on distance. It seems like the whole galaxy is accessible too early, and you run into everyone too soon. Maybe put the fuel mechanic back in or some other system to slow that down.

SPACE MONSTERS: I love that these guys are back! The Space Dragon looked a bit like a giant goldfish, but it's good to see again.

STAR SYSTEMS: Most only seem to have one or two planets. Was it s deliberate choice to limit the number of worlds?

COLONY BASES: I'd like the Colony Base option from MOO II back. It should be far easier to colonize a world in your own system.

GALACTIC AGE: You could have a variable where you set this and it determines the kinds of stars and planets.

Kurgon999 #28 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Ensign

• Players

I just want to chime in with my first thoughts about the game. Literally my very first thought when I launched the game was that the Star Systems are EMPTY. My first game Sol had one planet and one asteroid belt. My second game Sol has two planets. This makes me sad. I might be one of the few, but I love huge maps with complex and realistic star systems. MoO3 had systems with six or more planets, I like that.

Other than that, I am enjoying the game so far.

BionicDance #29 Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Block Quote

COLONY BASES: I'd like the Colony Base option from MOO II back. It should be far easier to colonize a world in your own system.

Quoted for truth. Want this lots.

Block Quote

GALACTIC AGE: You could have a variable where you set this and it determines the kinds of stars and planets.

Isn't that already in there? I swear I saw a drop-down menu for that when starting a new game.

But speaking of which, one thing in MoO2 that I liked was starting tech level, where you could start the game pre-warp, and you had to research all of the various technologies to make it off your planet.

Mind you, I always played a Creative race, giving me a huge advantage over the others when we finally met, but still...it was fun to play from different starting points.

CitizenAntares #30 Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Ensign

• Players

At the moment I find it very frustrating that I can't really check out a fleets ships' weaponry from the galaxy map. If the ship is in its most recent rendition I can look it up using the ship designer, but if not there's no other way than in battle or the upgrade screens, right? Am I missing something?

Also I want to be able to get more information about my fleets from the Fleet Menu.

Vahouth #31 Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

View PostCharlesDietrich, on 02 March 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Also - Were toxic planets always limited so harshly? is there nothing that can be done to allow some growth on a toxic planet that you grabbed only to secure uncontested access to a start system?

I think you mean to say Volcanic planets. You can terraform toxic in this game. ;)

View PostStarFort, on 02 March 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

ORION: I'd like the Orion system to have 4 asteroid belts, like in MOO II, making it possible to more fully develop it.

That would be a monster of a planet, especially now that you can export production to planets within a system.

Aeredeus #32 Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Resource specials need to be more *Special* . The current static +2 to whatever is way too inconsequential. I used to like fighting for control of the special resource planets in MOO2, now I couldn't be bothered. Which is a shame , because I always used to get so excited when I found a system with special resources. Now, meh....

Orion, what the heck, no artifacts?

Gold +5 BC

Gems +10 BC

Seagrass +2  food plus +1 food per cell

Artifacts +2 RP +1 per cell

Quartz +2 Production +1 per cell

I'd go to war over those planets, they'd actually be pretty special!

Mathias_Zealot #33 Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

Captain

• Players
Specials need to be rarer as well. Even with bigger bonuses I'd be hard pressed to really go to war over another Artifacts special when I've already got it in two of my six planets in a small galaxy.
EA4 Weapon Data (5-27-16)

CyberVic #34 Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:09 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I definitely like the star lanes, but if it's something that is removed, I'm fine with that as well.

What I do agree is that the solar systems need to feel bigger, not just 1-2 planets or sometimes none at all. There needs to be more cool stuff in the universe which makes exploration exciting instead of a simple chore you have to do to get the star map. Special things on planets need to have a bigger impact and there needs to be stuff like old ruins and indigenous peoples and stuff (I remember that being a thing in MOO2).

Auto-exploration is nice, but I want more control over que-ed up movement. For example I want to tell a scout move to this planet, then this planet, then this planet, etc. It's really an early game issue before you get the scanner which allows you to scan the entire starsystem at once, but still it would be nice if that and other actions are queuable. For example, would be nice to tell a ship factory to fly here and then build something or tell a colony ship to fly here and then colonize so you don't have to click colonize later.

Edited by CyberVic, 03 March 2016 - 02:16 AM.

Radiationfire #35 Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Ensign

• Players
I would like to be able to "turn" the view of the galaxy map.  The best view control I would say is in Sins of a Solar Empire for example.

Harper73 #36 Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

Commander

• Players

Anyone else confused by Green planets being TOXIC? And I think Blue is ocean right? I know Red is volcanic.

Yes bring back colony bases.

Harper73 #37 Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostCyberVic, on 03 March 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

I definitely like the star lanes, but if it's something that is removed, I'm fine with that as well.

What I do agree is that the solar systems need to feel bigger, not just 1-2 planets or sometimes none at all. There needs to be more cool stuff in the universe which makes exploration exciting instead of a simple chore you have to do to get the star map. Special things on planets need to have a bigger impact and there needs to be stuff like old ruins and indigenous peoples and stuff (I remember that being a thing in MOO2).

Auto-exploration is nice, but I want more control over que-ed up movement. For example I want to tell a scout move to this planet, then this planet, then this planet, etc. It's really an early game issue before you get the scanner which allows you to scan the entire starsystem at once, but still it would be nice if that and other actions are queuable. For example, would be nice to tell a ship factory to fly here and then build something or tell a colony ship to fly here and then colonize so you don't have to click colonize later.

I second all these great suggestions.

K_McClure #38 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 29 February 2016 - 01:43 AM, said:

If I have anything to say about the galaxy map, it's that there needs to be another, larger size. 

As it is now, having even two opponents means you're going to be starting right in someone else's backyard, and while some people might want that, I like my first contact situation to happen later in the game. And I shudder to think what it's like if you play with every currently-available race...egad.

So, yeah...need a bigger galaxy size available.

Definately agree... when I was waiting for this to go live, I played with a independent but inspired by moo freeware game "Free Orion". They had lots of options for galaxies, globular large, globular huge, spiral 2 arms, spiral 3 arms... etc, don't remember it all right now, but maybe the devs could look at it. ;-)

Aeredeus #39 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

1) Bigger Galaxy settings.(More Turns for an Epic Game)

2) Better Special Resources.

3) Monsters seem kind of weak, kick em up a notch.

4) Wandering Monster in mid to late game.

5) Single planet(System) third party/neutral/minor races.

6) Antarans (They shouldn't be a major/constant threat, but they could be like space monsters are now. You find rogue/survivor Antarans orbiting a planet and have to fight them for it. They could also appear later in game, as a single wandering, one time threat , a small Antaran fleet begins raiding the spaceways.)

7) Better contrast with the nebula/galactic background and the map of stars overlay.

8) Quasars, Pulsars systems which damage or destroy fleets which pass by them until higher level shields are developed for your fleet.

9) Actual Nebulas, slow movement, block scanners, prevent shields, Missiles don't work as well, some beam weapons don't work etc.

K_McClure #40 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostStarFort, on 02 March 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

FUEL: It's been interesting with no fuel restrictions on distance. It seems like the whole galaxy is accessible too early, and you run into everyone too soon. Maybe put the fuel mechanic back in or some other system to slow that down.

SPACE MONSTERS: I love that these guys are back! The Space Dragon looked a bit like a giant goldfish, but it's good to see again.

STAR SYSTEMS: Most only seem to have one or two planets. Was it s deliberate choice to limit the number of worlds?

Thought I saw galactic age, new/ average/ old (new few initially habitable, but lots of abundant+ mineral planets, average is balanced, and old is lower minerals and more habitable).

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users