Community Feedback Thread | The Galaxy Map

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

Aeredeus #41 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Orion also needs some ooomf, as is it's kind of meh.

I would also hope the Guardian, Monsters and Pirates should become more powerful and difficult to deal with as you increase the difficulty.

K_McClure #42 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostJadeonar, on 28 February 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

Totally agree on naming the Planet or system (system takes on the planet name even?)

Star systems - would be nice if there were larger star systems, with more than 4 planets or asteroid belt rings.

Definately could use a much larger galaxy map... easily twice the size. Considering how long it takes to travel from top to bottom of the map right now. would seem more realistic for the same time a map twice the size. (likewise the current map size shold only take half the time to cross top to bottom).

I do remember fleet travels were faster in MoO2. Directly related to technology researched and equipped on the ships of course.

I do miss the "range" a fleet or ship was allowed to hop in number of hops. Different drives and techology would play effect as well.

What ever happened to Jump Gates that allowed a fleet to jump Point A to Point B (and in some many fewer turns) when in your controlled space?

Here's an idea, If a player was given a choice to build either or: Military Outpost or Jump Gate at the Warp Entry point of a systm... Warp Entry Point would be undefended entry point into a system that had a Jump gate built however, it would allow Point A to Point B direct fleet jumping in fewer turns than into a system without Jump Gates... That would be strategy and tactics. Especially for systems on the fronteir borders of racial owned territory may choose to not have jump gates, or have the back-facing warp points only with Jump Gates while the front facing Warp Points have Military installations built...

This would allow for faster direct fleet travel in your controlled space (especially moving the bulk of your fleet(s) to a system that the enemy is invading), while still taking the regular long time to travel uncontrolled / unowned star systems via exploring or to conquer enemy space.

Forgot wormholes... First gameplay through, one located opposite ends of the map (left to right) which was great... new game - 2 wormholes and maybe 3 systems apart from one another... ugh...

There are stargates in the tech tree. and allows direct routing to another planet with one (ignoring starlanes). My suggestion... MAKE THE ICON BIGGER. Right now it's a small "aol logo" sorta thing over the planet that built it in the close up system screen, but in the full galaxy screen? REAL Hard to find. In Moo2, the icon was bigger, and up there by the star name, and the planet dots. 

Mathias_Zealot #43 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostAeredeus, on 04 March 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Orion also needs some ooomf, as is it's kind of meh.

I would also hope the Guardian, Monsters and Pirates should become more powerful and difficult to deal with as you increase the difficulty.

The one time I've gotten around to beating the guardian and colonizing it, I tend to have other Gaia, Ultra Rich worlds. Not necessarily Huge Gaia Ultra Rich, but the difference isn't that great.

Might be because Gaia Transformation is kinda early in the tree, IMO.

EA4 Weapon Data (5-27-16)

K_McClure #44 Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostCharlesDietrich, on 02 March 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Terraforming:

It's been a while since I played MOO but terraforming is one of the best aspects of the game, it usually allowed fantastic growth. That growth is a bit limited here. I am glad that you get it early, so that you can see your terrformed colonies become powerhouses, but, perhaps this is an AI thing, the computer doesn't do it, so it gets OP very quickly. Usually if I can hold out for 50 - 75 turns, I have an industrial powerhouse that crushes all who dare oppose. 

Also - Were toxic planets always limited so harshly? is there nothing that can be done to allow some growth on a toxic planet that you grabbed only to secure uncontested access to a start system?

Growth:

Can you have a setting to determine what future population will be assigned to? early on in a colony's development I push at growth, so everyone needs to go into farming. Aside from continuously clicking on the side there is no way to enforce that. Or after that, I then fill up the farming bar entirely, next I want everyone focused on production, so all new people should go to production, without affecting the allocation that I have to farming. 

Military Outposts and Ships

Please let military outposts stop ships from travelling through them without an open borders treaty. it's really annoying. And I've seen Pirates just move on to my planets as well, without being able to engage them. 

YES! About Terraforming, and later Gaia Transformation. That's the way I like to play. =D

Boxleitner #45 Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:57 AM

Ensign

• Players

I'm actually having trouble clicking on ships and getting them to move to stars because the hit box is so small. It feels awkward.

In other words I dont feel comfortable with selecting ships and clicking them to their destinations. I have to click more than once each time to get things to work.

thymelord13 #46 Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

Ensign

• Players

I'd like the race's identifying  color for my systems to show when I'm playing them, not the gray color that I see now. If I'm the Sakkra, I want to see a map covered in green names. Right now, my systems appear unoccupied at a glance. 

Please improve the planet menu to filter out occupied system/colonized planets. 

Would like to see larger solar systems as someone suggested. 

Are splinter colonies still a thing? Loved see those in Moo2. 

Monthar #47 Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

If a race has an Uber planet type, their homeworld should start out as that uber planet type instead of Terran.

More planets/asteroid belts in each star system.

The home system needs to have at least one other colonizable planet.

Aeredeus #48 Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
What about political borders that show up on the map. Colored regions keyed to the empire that controls the nearby systems. It could be a separate map but it would be nice to have in a 4x game.

SheerTorcher #49 Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

Ensign

• Players

After three playthroughs, I had the following observations that related to the galactic map.

1) A critical pollution flag visible at the maximum zoom would be useful. When playing large games you have to zoom out all the way to see your whole empire. When you do, the planets with critical pollution flags disappear, making it difficult for you to find/anticipate pollution problems. This is especially annoying because your advisor's critical pollution zoom function breaks about halfway through each game.

2) When you have a large empire, you get more message buttons at the beginning of each turn than can appear on the galactic map at once. However, there is no way to scroll back through them to see the early messages: any that got pushed off the top get lost.

3) Artificial worlds (those formed from gas giants or the asteroid belts) do not change appearance as you terraform them, either in the galactic map screen or in the planetary management screens.

BionicDance #50 Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players
4) Having more levels of zoom besides the whole galaxy and Extreme Close-Up™ would be nice.

JosEPh_II #51 Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostCharlesDietrich, on 02 March 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

Terraforming:

It's been a while since I played MOO but terraforming is one of the best aspects of the game, it usually allowed fantastic growth. That growth is a bit limited here. I am glad that you get it early, so that you can see your terrformed colonies become powerhouses, but, perhaps this is an AI thing, the computer doesn't do it, so it gets OP very quickly. Usually if I can hold out for 50 - 75 turns, I have an industrial powerhouse that crushes all who dare oppose. 

Also - Were toxic planets always limited so harshly? is there nothing that can be done to allow some growth on a toxic planet that you grabbed only to secure uncontested access to a start system?

Growth:

Can you have a setting to determine what future population will be assigned to? early on in a colony's development I push at growth, so everyone needs to go into farming. Aside from continuously clicking on the side there is no way to enforce that. Or after that, I then fill up the farming bar entirely, next I want everyone focused on production, so all new people should go to production, without affecting the allocation that I have to farming. 

Military Outposts and Ships

Please let military outposts stop ships from travelling through them without an open borders treaty. it's really annoying. And I've seen Pirates just move on to my planets as well, without being able to engage them. 

Toxic planets were always limited in the 1st 2 MoO.  Now if you Build the Toxic "cleans the air thingy) it turn that Toxic Planet into a Barren. And then you can Terraform from there. Don't be afraid of Toxic Planets in this MoO.

Mil Ouposts and Pirates; Just station a frigate to "Guard" the Outpost and the Pirates will get taken care of, rather easily.

And the only ships that Freely travel thru them is Scouts. And unless you have an Alliance or Non Aggression treaty you can select Attack and blow them up. Especially the Scouts. The AI will do that to yours without those 2 treaties I mentioned.

You have not played mcuh yet?

JosEPh :)

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Vivian_Lavigne #52 Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

Ensign

• Players

I played for one hour now and what is shoking me is that solar systems only have 1 2 or 3 planets and this is a SHAME !
We ALL want the game to be immersive, and when we see things irrealistic like that the immersion is broken
Plus the fact that the texture for the earth is a random generated texture and not the real earth.

I think there should be systems with NO planet at all up to system with 9 planets like in real life ! And there should be sometimes double suns like in real life too.

I hope theses suggestions helped

Dresch_604 #53 Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

Ensign

• Players
The solar systems shouldn't just feature a larger grouping of 3 or more planets with their varied size, biome and mineral as well as the special colony resources i.e. gold, artifacts, etc. They should also feature either unique gas giants, asteroid fields, or special star types that can provide bonuses to either nearby colonies or to the empire as a whole. We really should have a lot more for the space factories to do. If you think of our solar system there's a lot more density of interesting things in any given solar system. I'd figure you could work it into game play from say exotic matter, or a special type of cosmic gas, or a special mineral within the asteroid that when improved by space factory with right tech.

Tasunke82 #54 Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

It seems like the recent patch made it so that better biomes are more scarce and low/high gravity is more common but maybe this was just my big bang seeds. Either way I like it. Low biomes are still good and produce less pollution. And it's just like old MOO. I don't think we should have more plants per systems as it is now. But since many people want this u can make it configurable via advanced settings.

Sabarok #55 Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Ensign

• Players

I think the biggest problem with the galaxy map is how slow travel get across empires, especially on the big map. These are changes I would like to see.

1. Travel inside a star system should be a free movement, with the ship's turn ended when they perform an action or travel through a gate. That this always takes a full movement is a huge bottleneck. In the alternative, have movement only take a small portion of travel.

2. Continuing on #1, when travel is unobstructed and not controlled by a hostile empire, allow ships to continue their jumps through systems on the same turn if their engines still have movement remaining.

3. Allow building of jump gates at warp nodes by space factories. A ship travelling through a gate to enter a lane gets a bonus to their speed (perhaps travel costs 50% of their movement). Perhaps these jump gates can also function as an early-game way to travel across an unstable lane. Build one at an unstable node, and you can send ships across, but they can't come back until you control the other side and build a corresponding gate. This option could allow the engine version to be pushed back further in the tree to give unstable lanes real strategic value.

4. The jump gates built at planets, move their position to the end of the tech tree and make them instant-travel like MoO 2, requiring only 1 turn to arrive at any other planet with a jump gate.

5. Space Factories being able to build a "warp inhibitor" at jump gates. Any ship trying to enter a lane that has this at its end point will have its speed reduced and require at least 3 turns to arrive. This would take the same build spot as a station/gate/sensor at the node, offering players choice in what to build and where.

6. Stop spamming me with "fleet threats" over enemy scouts. The AI should have a better method for deciding when to stop building scouts. In one game, I was getting threat notifications about enemy scouts, but the enemy colony ship that slipped past my fleet and took a planet got no notification.

7. From the empire view listing our planets, I'd like to be able to click somewhere and go to the planet screen. One thing that can't be done from the empire list is rearranging the build queue. Also, using the mouse scroll wheel to scroll the list is causing the galaxy map in the background to zoom in and out at the same time.

8. I think the planetary build screen needs a better design. I don't like having to double click everything to add them to the queue, and sometimes the double click doesn't take. I think this is one place where MoO 2 had a better design. One click to add, click again to remove, and you can see the queue from the build window. I do like that this MoO has colour coding on the different items. Because of how useless auto-build is, this needs to be as clean, quick, and easy as possible to facilitate the micro-management of dozens of planets.

9. When a planet has finished building something and we are entering the planet screen, there should be a message reminding the player what was built. It doesn't need to be a pop-up like MoO 2, but just a line of text somewhere on the planet window. I often read the notice, click on it to get taken to the planet screen, and then forget what it was this planet built.

10. The pollution pop-up is bugged. It will frequently take me to the wrong planet, leaving me manually searching my empire trying to figure out which planet it was supposed to be telling me about.

11. When telling a space factory to travel to a spot that is guarded by a fleet, that space factory will merge with the fleet and continue guarding. Space factories should be an exception to this behaviour. They should always prompt the player at what to do when arriving, leaving it to the player to decide to build something or to sleep. I think there should also be an option in the options window to auto-wake a fleet upon merging with another. A few times a fleet got misplaced for a few turns because it traveled to a spot that had a fleet in guard mode.

12. The ability to manually split fleets up at nodes. I arrive at a hostile node with a large fleet, but I only need to use 1 cruiser to clear it. Instead, I'm forced to have my entire fleet attack together and use up all their action points. I know that I could trigger the action on the previous turn with movement already spent, but it's easy to miss that. There is no notification of ships with spent movement points that are still able to enter combat.

13. Add a notification for ships that aren't waiting for movement but can enter combat. At first, this would be ships on guard duty that had enemy ships arrive, but after clicking "move", it should also include those ships that have moved into a contested location. Perhaps this could be included in the "a fleet is waiting for orders" button, with the message saying "a fleet can enter combat" (clicking guard/skip would avoid combat and clear the message).

14. Let me do something with Volcanic planets to make them more habitable.

Dave_Astator #56 Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

Commander

• Players

For the official feedback -

1. i want starlanes removed and replaced with fuel technology.

Reason: because starlanes destroy strategic element which was proven in the giant thread with starlanes discussion. 

2. I want to see other elements of space and interact with them. Nebulaes, black holes for example.

3. I want map customization up to possibility to create map from scratch.

kinggore #57 Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

Ensign

• Players

hope this will become a great game. still lots to change.

the planetary starsystem map is a bit sucky, to few planets in every system to make it look natural. would be good with more grades of planets, our own star system have 8 planets and it is even small. maybe make the unlivable ones minable. should really be worth it to colonize an ultra poor planet for instance.
the overall graphics of the planets and the stars is fair and detailed.
Scanning, one thing i like is how you need to scan every planet in the system, until you get better scanners, then it becomes every system.
however scanning ships is a different matter. since it will give away the strength of anything within scanner range, not exactly fair that you can see the overall point strength of something to far away that you can't make out the planets.

Borders. when having a military outpost, it will always automatically help defend or attack any who are at the warp point. This should be limited to only defend, since attack would demand a defender of the warp point to actively engage. thus only space vessels with engines would be able to do this.
Great that you can avoid a military outpost if you want to scout or attack planets without engaging the warp points.
making this realistic however one should be able with advanced scanners to detect warps and arrival points in order to prepare a defense.

Ships guarding a warp point won't automatically engage any enemy or other arrivals at the point, the guard function is as such useless. the unit might as well be sleeping.

you can't cancel or destroy a half build station, for instance if you don't want it or need the space for something else.
you would need to finish the construction then scrap it.
you can't cancel a started station upgrade, for instance if you don't want to upgrade

not a big fan of fuel tech since.. some engines could run for centuries before running out of fuel. flying around with a thorium reactor for instance. present day tech ​
also with regards to bionics or living engines/units fuel would be sort of redicules. yes food for the engine however how much nuclear science would one need to drift around in space with a little power towards a system?
star lanes themselves are a bit.. annoying, limiting, compared to the naturalness of a star system. could be made up for with speed and free flight mode, or having starlanes between all stars. other people have done a better job of lanes before. maybe making flight time different in systems and out of systems since a system compared to waste space is immensely different

Edited by kinggore, 06 March 2016 - 10:46 AM.

Mathias_Zealot #58 Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostSabarok, on 05 March 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

10. The pollution pop-up is bugged. It will frequently take me to the wrong planet, leaving me manually searching my empire trying to figure out which planet it was supposed to be telling me about.

Pollution doesn't actually affect anything until it hits 100%. The pop up behavior is bugged, but the important alert in the lower right of an eminent biome degradation is the critical one (which is weird, you'd think the general alert would be in the lower right and the 1 turn before would be the popup HEY LISTEN warning)

Block Quote

14. Let me do something with Volcanic planets to make them more habitable.

Cede to other empire, Apply liberal dose of Stellar Converter. Rebuild as barren.
Alternately, the Biomorphic Fungi tech actually gives volcanic planets decent population capacity and no pollution worries.

EA4 Weapon Data (5-27-16)

Vahouth #59 Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players

I really hope the maps used for planets are not the only ones. There is already a texture map for Earth in the Human's intro cinematic, so I really hope that's not the case.

Currently there is only one texture map for each biome and I find it very distracting and immersion breaking, seeing Japan and SE Asia on every terran world. 

Please someone tell me you have more maps.

EDIT: I also hope we'll see planets with rings just like in the Main Menu Screen.

Edited by Vahouth, 05 March 2016 - 04:01 PM.

BionicDance #60 Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Rear Admiral

• Players

It'd be really nice if click on planets or ships didn't make us zoom to Extreme Close-Up™ mode, but rather made them blink, flash, or put a flag over them.

If I want to send a ship to a system, and I can see the system on the map, then I click on the ship...ZOOM! ...and now I don't remember where the system was anymore and have to go digging for it.

Or vice-versa; got a fleet selected, trying to find the planet, click the planet on the Planets menu, and ZOOM! ...now I have to find the fleet again, cuz I've gone into a close-up of the planet.

Where the camera is pointed on the map should be my choice, not the game's choice, especially since, as I pointed out above, there are reasons I might really want the camera to stay put, regardless of what I've got selected.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users