Multiplayer between Steam and GOG versions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Stigles #1 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:14 AM

Ensign

• Players
Is there a plan to allow multiplayer between the Steam and GOG versions of the game? I purchased the GOG version of the game, and my friend purchased the game from Steam, and there is currently no way for us to play together. Currently there appear to be no multiplayer games running for GOG, while there are about 10(ish) games running in the Steam version. I'd expect to be able to join games no matter which client it was purchased through.

NinjaLA #2 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

Commander

• Players
according to the devs there are differences between the networking backends for both gog and steam that make it hard to accomplish, but they are going to attempt to get it working.   so here's to hoping.    I guess we gog guys could always get a refund and switch to steam maybe?

JosEPh_II #3 Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:52 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostNinjaLA, on 28 February 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

according to the devs there are differences between the networking backends for both gog and steam that make it hard to accomplish, but they are going to attempt to get it working.   so here's to hoping.    I guess we gog guys could always get a refund and switch to steam maybe?

I'd prefer they work it out. Been using Gog longer that Steam. And I got the game 5% cheaper on Gog too.

JosEPh

Old and Slow.....Watch Out! It's Not Y'uns Turn!

Daniel_Golbeck #4 Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:25 AM

Ensign

• Players
I hope they add the old school host client base of multiplayer, where one player hosts the game and friends can join by IP.

Sperg1 #5 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

Ensign

• Players
What the hell :D different network logic? Common multiplayer between GoG and Steam is such a basic feature I did not even imagine this could be missing. absolutely it should be added.

Dameon #6 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:26 AM

Ensign

• Players
This is massively disappointing. I bought my copy of MOOcts on GoG because I already had the MOO pack from GoG and so got a further discount.  Saving a few $ isn't worth not being able to play with my friends on Steam. That's a BIG screw up, IMHO.

Surtial #7 Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
A further discount you say?

newreality #8 Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

Ensign

• Players

I got an email from GoG support asking this very question and was told that the steam game is working in a closed environment, and you won't be able to connect to Steam-hosted multiplayer game.

So the mutliplayer for the GoG is just a form of DRM and locking out interplayability between competing companies even though the devs have stated that  the game is to be cross platform. :(

----------------------

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

~Dr. Who

Uncouthma #9 Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

Ensign

• Players

Here's hoping that the devs are reading this thread.  Maybe me resurrecting it will bump it up onto their radar.

I bought the Collector's Edition - Early Access no less! - and the race pack from GOG.  As previously stated, not only are there no MP games on GOG, but there's no cross-platform support.

The way I figure it, Wargaming can handle this in four possible ways:

1. Work with Steam and GOG to make cross-platform MP a reality

2. Update the game code to allow me to host my own 'server' so that a player that has the Steam version can join (or vice versa)

3. For those of us that have already bought the game, Wargaming can issue download codes for the 'other' version allowing us to have it on both platforms and be able to MP with folks on the 'other' platform

4. Do nothing and expect that if we really, really want to MP with someone on a different platform, we'll cough up another $60USD for the privilege of having another copy of the same game just so we can play it with our friends.

Judging by the age of this thread and the lack of any obvious announcements regarding feature updates/upgrades - MP in particular, it's looking like the devs have decided to leave us swinging.  I can understand why the rating of this game have gone from a solid 4+ to 3-ish on both GOG and Steam since release.

DEVs:  Please make some sort of announcement if you're going to fix this or not so at least we know where we stand...

Spud_Dastardly #10 Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
The devs never check this forum anymore. Anyway if I recall, it's Steam who refuses to allow cross-platform multiplayer, not the devs. It's a contractual restriction, not a technical one.

Get 5X - The Ultimate Balance Mod on Steam or on Nexus Mods!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users