Long standing MOO fan and games designer: My Feedback and thoughts for improvment

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

CypherNilNA #21 Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostM002mod, on 01 March 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

• Allow players to create their own build queue presets like (new colony, ship building focus, research focus), as the autobuild is horrible at selecting the right building. A player can simply pick a precreated build menu and if some buildings aren't currently researched they get skipped. This makes handling a large size empire far easier come mid-late game.

With some re-design, the entire build menu can function as the build queue itself, by just dragging those item-tiles to the correct order.

There is no need for a limited 4-position build queue when you are able to do this.

I can recommend Sullla's moo4 video as well, imo one of the better ones out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45DsPkrd6QU

Thats a really good video, nice streamer. also your profile picture looks VERY ​familiar :D.

CypherNilNA #22 Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostSresk, on 01 March 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

I can't upvate this enough, the vast majority of UI changes I had the exact same thoughts about, Hire this guy and implement everything.

upvote

upvote ad infinitum 

Thank you, that's one of the nicest things I've read on a forum. Wish they would. job hunting at the moment :D

MC182 #23 Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostMathias_Zealot, on 29 February 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

10/10 -IGN

I'd add that the weapon selection screen needs even more changes to show more weapon information, as currently there's a lot of not-displayed data. Unlike MoO2's firing arcs affecting weapon size, they're supposedly affecting weapon accuracy, not that you can see that anywhere in the weapon selection. That said, more data is usually good (to a point)

Modified Weapon Screen Mockup

Heavens, all these forum options and I can't change the image size tags?

I figure the arc selection is essentially a weapon modifier and the last thing generally done with weapon selection is adjusting the quantity to fill a certain amount of space in the ship, so that can be down next to the Done button. This leaves more room for currently hidden weapon data to be displayed.

So I'm going to steal this screenshot because I'm too lazy to make my own but in that same vain of needing more information as it stands right now when you select modifications for your weapons (such as heavy weapons, mirv, etc) it doesn't update the space and dps on the weapon so there's no way of really telling if those mods are worth wild or if it's better to just load you ships up with more of the base weapons. 

WrathTKL #24 Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:13 AM

Ensign

• Players

This is a fantastic post I really like the UI changes that are suggested, and I agree that if you aren't playing the Mega "Psilons" then play the Super Awesome "Sakkra" because the rest feel kinda meh ... Psilons REALLY need some sort of downside because they are too powerful.

I've played two complete campaigns (About 8 hours each) one as the Sakkra one as the Psilons ... 

* Psilons are built well but they have a ton of unique benefits and no drawbacks (Where all the other races seem sorta bland compared to them) Voice acting is good without being cheesy ... 
* AI is REALLY bad it's so easy to win by placing frigates on choke points on guard and the AI never thinks about going to war with you over it.
* Tech is researched too easily ... I rarely got to shoot a gun before I researched a new one to try, also not nearly enough forced choices I went back and played MoO2 last night and I was stressing over which tech to take at each point.
* Game is gorgeous and stream lined, but our choices in combat should matter.

CypherNilNA #25 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostWrathTKL, on 02 March 2016 - 01:13 AM, said:

* Tech is researched too easily ... I rarely got to shoot a gun before I researched a new one to try, also not nearly enough forced choices I went back and played MoO2 last night and I was stressing over which tech to take at each point.

​Could not agree more, really could do with a research speed option in game making

BossmanSlim #26 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:41 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Couple of items from my play through as humans:

1. bring back lack the colony base from MOO2 for colonizing in the same system
  2. planet defenses and star bases (all versions) seem underpowered, can they be treated like ships and upgraded and designed?
  3. I'd like to a see a faster method to move ships around within the players colonies. Jump gates are still really slow
  4. I could not figure out how to use auto build
  5. when clicking on the production finished to go to a colony to build more items, can we get a button to cycle to the next planet that also has an empty production queue?
  6. stellar converter should be usable only after defeating the planet defenses. As is, it is really over powered
  7. missles seem much more powerful than beam weapons
  8. needs to be a way to completely strip a ship design other than going through each module
  9. need to have a way to make faster ships stay with slower ships in combat
  10. troop transports should not all be used during and invasion.  I had 48 marines invade a planet defended by 10, crushed the enemy, and then lost all my marines. 
  11. Need to be able to land armor on enemy planets as part of the assault 

Demandred848 #27 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostBossmanSlim, on 02 March 2016 - 03:41 AM, said:

troop transports should not all be used during and invasion.  I had 48 marines invade a planet defended by 10, crushed the enemy, and then lost all my marines. 

Regarding this, it is stupidly annoying and troublesome, but you didnt lose those marines. That planet you captured should be able to now build a whole bunch of transports to put those marines back into space.

Terrible way to do it. But you can get them back

Technomyke #28 Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

Ensign

• Players
i agree with the initial poster. nicely done.

BossmanSlim #29 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostDemandred848, on 02 March 2016 - 04:55 AM, said:

Regarding this, it is stupidly annoying and troublesome, but you didnt lose those marines. That planet you captured should be able to now build a whole bunch of transports to put those marines back into space.

Terrible way to do it. But you can get them back

I didn't notice this, so I'll assume you are correct.  Even so, it really slows down an invasion AND costs productions AND a minimum means you have to sit at the planet for X turns waiting on the transports.

Moo4 #30 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostBossmanSlim, on 02 March 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

I didn't notice this, so I'll assume you are correct.  Even so, it really slows down an invasion AND costs productions AND a minimum means you have to sit at the planet for X turns waiting on the transports.

<3 MoO1's use of population as ground combat.  Sure it has issues in the Moo2-meeple setup but it was just so easy to spam ground transports.  Also kept late-game population growth interesting because of sending troops/colonists around.  

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

CypherNilNA #31 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostBossmanSlim, on 02 March 2016 - 03:41 AM, said:

Couple of items from my play through as humans:

1. bring back lack the colony base from MOO2 for colonizing in the same system
  2. planet defenses and star bases (all versions) seem underpowered, can they be treated like ships and upgraded and designed?
  3. I'd like to a see a faster method to move ships around within the players colonies. Jump gates are still really slow
  4. I could not figure out how to use auto build
  5. when clicking on the production finished to go to a colony to build more items, can we get a button to cycle to the next planet that also has an empty production queue?
  6. stellar converter should be usable only after defeating the planet defenses. As is, it is really over powered
  7. missles seem much more powerful than beam weapons
  8. needs to be a way to completely strip a ship design other than going through each module
  9. need to have a way to make faster ships stay with slower ships in combat
  10. troop transports should not all be used during and invasion.  I had 48 marines invade a planet defended by 10, crushed the enemy, and then lost all my marines. 
  11. Need to be able to land armor on enemy planets as part of the assault 

Though I miss the colony base from MOO2 I think this might actually be a good change. With the colony base it was easier for a player to secure a whole system. Now that we have to only use colony ships that can be intercepted this might encourage aggression, interception tactics early in the game and encourage systems being contested a little more.

One of the largest issues I had in the old games was the lack of unique starbases and them being auto upgraded with the best tech, yes please.

Love idea 5.

I think the issue with 7 is that missiles are researched at the same time as most normal tech, beam weapons need much more investment and it's not even. also do missile payloads run out? I don't think they count as ammo anymore. making a massive fleet of small missile ships is the strongest player strat atm.

with 10. maybe the marines should automatically stay on the planet after the invasion to defend it?

CypherNilNA #32 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostTechnomyke, on 02 March 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

i agree with the initial poster. nicely done.

Thanks dude. appreciate it.

Vahouth #33 Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Vice Admiral

• Players
Viewing again the weapon selection screen, I think that a filter like the one in the colony building menu could be useful. Something to sort weapons by type as in MoO2 (beams, missiles, bombs etc).

Provinfistoris #34 Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Commander

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 02 March 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

Viewing again the weapon selection screen, I think that a filter like the one in the colony building menu could be useful. Something to sort weapons by type as in MoO2 (beams, missiles, bombs etc).

YES! And a clear button like in MoO2.

CyberVic #35 Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Love all these suggestions.

frankenduke #36 Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:32 AM

Ensign

• Players
The only thing I can add is I hate how fiddly moving fleets is. I keep missing the warp point and deselecting the fleet.  Very annoying. Mostly a problem with the defended points but an issue even on open ones. 

Edited by frankenduke, 03 March 2016 - 04:46 AM.

k_ronald #37 Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

Ensign

• Players

chose what ships will go into battle. I don't want my bombers to join in on a fight that would get them wiped out. thnaks

Eji1700 #38 Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

Commander

• Players

Great post, some thoughts:

Human diplomacy- I really really want a diplomacy system that's based on numbers/stats/something so that it actually does something in human vs human.  A custom race in PvP always was repulsive because diplomacy was pointless and it gave you a ton of points.  The idea being that yes if a diplomatic player gets enough of some diplomacy resource then they can force you into certain things.  Higher diplomacy techs would let them force different things or be more efficient at it.  It'd need to be carefully balanced and limited so they can't just get all your tech or something stupid, but endless legend did something like this and it shows so much promise.

Creative- I think creative was terribly balanced and generally one of the stronger if not OP traits (like telepathic or omniscient).  It was easy to justify with smart negative picks and you basically either took creative or had to be godly at espionage. That said part of the reason was because in MOOII every tech had choices so a creative race very quickly got insane value off their picks.  The new game having few splits (and frankly currently worthless ones) does nerf creative, but if they make it so the choice is no longer between bombs that do nothing and torpedos that win the game, then it's potentially too strong again.  In short I'm saying that I personally hated creative, but if it was brought back I think they should keep a very close eye on it.

Fog of war for tactical combat would be great and allow so much more (and give a use to frigates as scouts for longer ranged ships, while adding a lot of potential strategies with ships that can manipulate that).

Ground combat- I'd like if there were some choices as well, not just tech + numbers.  MOOIII had some good ideas here even if poorly implemented.

All the UI/work slaves ideas are great. I also miss assimilating/annihilating races as an option when conquered.

Skibbles85 #39 Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

A clear button would do nicely in ship fitting.

What a great post - no rage and anger, just pictures and feedback. No wonder you'd gotten a response so quickly!

Void2258 #40 Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:42 PM

Ensign

• Players
These suggestions address a lot of issues with the game UI. Bumping this until the suggestions are implemented.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users