Change the focus of this game. Think about what players want to play.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Jakajan #1 Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Okay so most of the time in a game like MOO I want to be thinking about exciting combat, designing ships, exploring space and out maneuvering my enemies through diplomacy and trickery.  Currently we spend more time doing small fleet moves and setting up building ques, this makes us feel more like a worker than a leader.

I know this is against the principle of the current game but I would like to see colony management more like MOO1. You only need to build space ships and or do major projects like terraforming, planetary defenses, colony ships and warships. This will make the turns flow faster.

Buildings should still exist, they should still be built, automatically as you research tech, you should also be able to set an empire wide mandate as to whether or not a building you built should even be constructed. Set an empire wide ban on missile bases? Cool, none will be built.  Also it should take time to passively build buildings too.

I think there should be a global command to have everyone build a specific ship, so you coul give an order to build troop transports, and everyone that had spare production that was not currently building something that you ordered would churn them out. Anything under production would not be changed.

I know the idea of Macro strategy likely killed moo3, but I think some macro strategy would be good.

Edited by Jakajan, 09 March 2016 - 09:46 AM.

Anguille_1 #2 Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

Captain

• Players
Fully agree with you.

Playing MOO since 1993

Playing MOO Conquer the Stars on GOG Galaxy

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

Moo4 #3 Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

Captain

• Players

I've got a thread over in Legacies that talks about how to combine MoO1 and 2.  The take home message is leaving the MoO1 colony "growth" mechanic (population + factories) and emphasize leaders over buildings to differentiate systems.  

Buildings would basically be like leaders that don't level up and are stuck at a single location.  The number of buildings would be extremely limited to keep late game pacing.  

http://forum.mastero...2153#entry12153

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

Venater #4 Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Right on.  I think they should just straight up get rid of building colony improvements (research, production, pollution and morale) and just have them automatic when you get the tech (obviously requires some re-balancing - I say have bonuses all dependent on population so no super-colonies with 1 population).  Think of all the freaking time saved not having to worry about building that crap.  The AI would function much better since apparently it cannot properly handle these improvements anyway.

Mermut #5 Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I have to disagree. I prefer the MoO2 style colonies/planets where they have character and you can focus, rather then having all colonies be effectively the same. Especially with the high 'cost' of big ships, being able to focus a system with multiple planets on production and funnel it all to one planet for faster ship building combined with focusing rear-area/safer systems on tech allows more flexibility and more play style options, rather then just 'build as many ships as fast as possible everywhere'.

Venater #6 Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
You really enjoy the constant micromanagement where you have to individually build every single building improvement?  Research, production, farming-population, terraforming, defensive installations and ships is enough IMO.  

Moo4 #7 Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostMermut, on 09 March 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

I have to disagree. I prefer the MoO2 style colonies/planets where they have character and you can focus, rather then having all colonies be effectively the same. 

Hate to break it to you but you were micro managing all of your colonies so they came out identical anyways.  

I want a moddable Master of Orion 1.5 with focus on interface and pacing.  Come discuss MoO 1.5 ideas HERE!

Mermut #8 Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I've never played MoO as a war game.. I happen to like empire building games where you explore and BUILD, not just go out and smash.

Anguille_1 #9 Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostMermut, on 09 March 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

I've never played MoO as a war game.. I happen to like empire building games where you explore and BUILD, not just go out and smash.

Me too but for me it works well in the first MOO. I am the diplomatic type of player.

Playing MOO since 1993

4x space game CV: Master of Orion, Master of Orion II, Master of Orion III, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain, Reach for the Stars, Imperium Galactica, Imperium Galactica II, Armada 2526, Distant Worlds, Star Ruler I and II, Endless Space, Horizon, Stardrive, Stradrive II, Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars II, Galactic Civilization I - III, LotBS, Lost Empires: Immortals, Space Empires IV and V, Starships Unlimited, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellio, Birth of the Federation and Stellaris.

Mermut #10 Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostAnguille_1, on 09 March 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Me too but for me it works well in the first MOO. I am the diplomatic type of player.

I prefer 2 to 1.

I do understand where you're coming from. Expanded building queues and perhaps even saved/loadable queues would help. That would allow players to set the focus for the various planets without having to micro manage each one.

DrLunar #11 Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
I'd actually prefer if we had more micro control of colonies.  Like being able to change tax rates on individual planets.  I've always considered building up and managing your empire to be the core gameplay of 4x games.

Anguille_1 #12 Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

Captain

• Players

View PostMermut, on 09 March 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

I prefer 2 to 1.

I do understand where you're coming from. Expanded building queues and perhaps even saved/loadable queues would help. That would allow players to set the focus for the various planets without having to micro manage each one.

Indeed...i hope they can add this. The thing is that we have people who love to micro and we have people who prefer to macro. The ideal design allows both categories to be happy.

I agree about the tax rate per planet (like in Armada 2526) so you can deal with unhappy people depending on the planet.

Playing MOO since 1993

pacifist0rz #13 Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

I agree with the OP.

MOO1 is much more fleet based rather than colony based, which is what I enjoy.  Your fleet is what matters and what wins the game.  I saw another post on here where someone talked about their most memorable game of MOO; where their home planet got destroyed, but their fleet survived, which they used to ultimately take over the galaxy with and win the game.

In MOO4, 95% of your turn is spent with planetary management.  In fact, the only reason to even build a fleet is to protect your colonies.

Edited by pacifist0rz, 10 March 2016 - 11:09 AM.

Anguille_1 #14 Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Captain

• Players

View Postpacifist0rz, on 10 March 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

I agree with the OP.

MOO1 is much more fleet based rather than colony based, which is what I enjoy.  Your fleet is what matters and what wins the game.  I saw another post on here where someone talked about their most memorable game of MOO; where their home planet got destroyed, but their fleet survived, which they used to ultimately take over the galaxy with and win the game.

In MOO4, 95% of your turn is spent with planetary management.  In fact, the only reason to even build a fleet is to protect your colonies.

Well, for me it's a combination of things but what i like most in MOO1 is Diplomacy and Politics.

Playing MOO since 1993

Francois424 #15 Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

Commander

• Players

I am also someone that prefers Master of Orion II gameplay over Moo1 (Always started pre-warp with a bunch of friends in MP was totally fun).

The Idea of a building list (possibly just editing "TechBuild.txt" in the appropriate folder ?  just have a premade file give you the correct spelling for each buildings) is excellent.

The same list applies no matter what tech level you are, the AI just skips buildings you do not have and priories them the second you unlock the science (just use the current "upgrade all" with colonies instead of ships)

This would be particularly useful in Multi-player games where you just click "auto-build" on all colonies (except to build ships or defenses in a hurry) and press next turn.

Would also help tons in huge galaxies.

Moo2 was something like this : Automated Factories: - Robo-miner plant - Robotic factory - Deep Core Mine - Deep Core Waste Dump - Repeated Terraforming.

So if I load that list, and I only have the first 2, the AI will then jump to repeated terraforming or missile base or w/e.

Really good idea.

Alexander_Picoli #16 Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I would like to have an interface for custom made decision scripts... That is, some crazy Master of Orion players that are also programmers, such as myself, could write the governor scripts, and make them shareable by the MOO community.

This would allow players to tailor their decisions with as much micro or macromanagement as they want.

These scripts would have mechanisms to allow for sending messages asking what to do, or be completely silent and make all minor decisions for the player with no interface cluttering.

I think these scripts should have the following exposed objects:

1) The Empire object would allow us to see what is being built on each planet;

2) The Planet object would allow us to manage what the planet is building, and let us control population allocation and build orders;

3) The Fleet object would allow us to place a "governor" for fleets, telling about standard behaviors, such as Patrolling, Pirate combat, etc.

4) The Map object would allow us to get by code the current known universe ... For example, from the Map we would decide if a planet is at the  frontier or at the core.

5) The Message object would allow scripts to send messages to the player, so it can specify what to do for that specific planet/fleet.

6) The DefaultBehavior object would implement standard behaviors if our script doesn't have any change to what the unit would do by default.

A very raw example of such code would be

Script "My Governor Script" // this would show as an option for planetary governor...

function OnProductionComplete(Planet planet, FinishedStuff stuff) {

// we could make custom decisions...

if planet.foodSurplus <= 2 and planet.population < planet.maxPopulation then

planet.queue(BIOSPHERE);

else

// or we can signal for a decision...

Message.sendEvent(stuff.getName() + " was completed at "+ planet.getName() , planet);

}

function OnNewPopulation (Planet planet) {

try {

// will try to allocate the new population as a farmer.

planet.allocate(Worker.FARMER);

Message.sendEvent("A new farmer is now working on "+planet.getName() + "!",planet);

} catch() {

// for other cases, let the behavior be the default for the game...

defaultBehavior.OnNewPopulation(planet);

}

}

NOTICE that this solution encompasses the simple "queue list.txt" file ... It would be a script that would try to build stuff in sequence as specified in a text file...

Edited by Alexander_Picoli, 10 March 2016 - 09:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users