Response to Feedback: Upcoming Changes to Master of Orion

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

GeneralDirection #1 Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

WG Staff

• Administrator

Greetings Explorers,

Be warned: this is a very long post.

Since Early Access began on February 26th, you’ve provided consistent thoughtful feedback about the direction we’re going with Master of Orion. We’ve been reviewing your feedback with NGD Studios to ensure that it is considered with every potential change or addition we will make between now and release.

To that end, we have the first of what we are calling “Feedback Response” articles. The aim of this piece is to give you an idea of some of the changes we’re planning based on your feedback. We can’t commit to specific timelines for anything at the moment, but we want to make sure you have visibility on what we’re looking to do.

Please note that not every single change we plan to make is mentioned here. If you see something missing from the list, there’s a good chance we’re considering it, it’s just that we’re not ready to talk about it.

Balance/AI
This is an important focus for us as it impacts most if not all game systems. Without solid balance and a strong AI, things begin to fall apart. If we were to prioritize the content of this article, you could probably consider most of the topics in this list as the highest priority.

• Late-game pacing is sluggish, so we are planning to improve that—especially providing interesting things for players not focused on the Conquest victory condition
  • Research comes a little too easy right now, resulting in technologies being unlocked far too quickly; we will make adjustments here to make unlocking a technology feel more like a milestone and to reduce the frequency at which ship designs and ship weapons/systems become obsolete
  • We’re working on making pirates more interesting, giving more options for interacting with and engaging them, as well as the ability for them to expand
  • Some racial perks are not as valuable in multiplayer (i.e. those that affect diplomacy), so we are making changes so that they are more impactful
  • Biomes are not unique enough at the moment, so we are planning to add more variation and also potentially provide new bonuses (i.e. Morale) based on the biome
  • Races are not distinct enough, so we are planning to improve this through more interesting perks/traits
  • Miniaturization will be introduced; all hail making things smaller!
  • Improvements will be made to diplomacy AI to allow more positive interaction between AI races, including basic treaties, alliances and diplomatic council votes
  • BC income will be adjusted so that it remains an option for speeding up expansion (or strengthening a fleet) but does not trivialize it

Tactical Battles
At the moment tactical battles have a strong core implementation, but usability is a big issue. A major focus for this feature is improving the control the player has over the action in the battle, as well as more information on what’s happening.

• We will be changing it so that each tactical battle starts paused by default, allowing you to get a feel for the surroundings and the battlefield to begin planning your tactics
  • Formation bonuses will be introduced that provide bonus effects to certain ship types for flying in formation
  • Civilian ships will be added to the battlefield, so use caution when moving them around the galaxy along with your combat fleets
  • A retreat option will be introduced at the intro screen as well as during combat (note: some technologies/structures/specials may potentially prevent retreat from being possible for all ships)
  • We are evaluating options for more control over specials and weapon systems, as well as weapon overlays to give more clarity on what’s going on

Ship Design
Customizing your ships and fleets is integral to the tactical battles experience and makes the arsenal of your empire distinctly yours. To that end, we want to make it easier for you to customize your ships, as well as provide more clarity in what you are doing, and finally to reduce the negative impact the auto-update feature has on your designs.

• We will be updating the ship design interface
  • Ship designs and ships already built will no longer be linked, meaning when you scrap a design you will not have to scrap the ships
  • The character limit for ship names will be increased
  • Default AI behaviors will be added (Range, Aggression, Focus, etc.)

Usability / Interface
The feedback we have gotten is that the user interface is already in a good place. However, we agree that certain areas could use some touch-up.

• We are taking a pass on the information available and plan to increase the number of tooltips across the entire game, as well as improve their quality

Diplomacy
The AI needs to better use treaties and the diplomacy system as a whole. We will also adjust the effects declining certain proposals has on disposition, as some of them affect relations too negatively.

• We will provide better feedback on the diplomacy screen, including how racial traits and other bonuses are impacting relations
  • AI will be improved to propose more intelligent exchanges, such as tech for tech
  • Certain actions have too much impact on diplomatic relations and will be adjusted (i.e. share charts currently has far too negative of an effect if rejected)
  • We will improve on “emperor traits” (commonly referred to as biases) and how they act in diplomacy and view other races’ actions within the game

Colony Screen
Our main goal here is to provide additional polish, make more information available, and expand functionality on certain elements.

• A scrollable structure list will be introduced to complement the visual display of structures on the planet
  • Preset and customizable build “templates” will be introduced to make late-game expansion less cumbersome
  • We will be enabling the production queue by default
  • The ability to drag multiple population at a time will be added (all to the right of the one selected, except those on strike or other races)

Build Screen
The build screen will see improvements based on changes we’re making to other areas of the game (including general keystroke/mouse functionality), but there are some changes specific to this screen as well. They mostly focus on ships and making what you’re doing and getting from them more clear.

• Command Point and Upkeep costs will update to reflect the number of ships being produced
  • We will allow you to specify the quantity of ships to produce if more than one, rather than only having the single or 5x options
  • Civilian transports will be made much cheaper and it will be clearer that they are “rental” and will disappear once you move the population to a planet
  • Detailed ship combat stats will be added to the build menu

Empire Screen
While it’s primarily intended to be a macro-level management screen, we have seen feedback that certain micro-level options would be nice to have here. We’re also planning to add more clarity and sortable columns for Morale and Pollution.

• A heading will be added to the Morale column and a Pollution column will be added
  • A per-colony production buyout button will be added
  • We will improve the flagging feature by allowing you to not only name your flags, but also define new flag types
  • It will be possible to redistribute population within a colony from this screen

Research Screen
While research speed has already been touched on, there are other changes we’re planning for the tech tree to make progression more interesting and rewarding. We will also improve information on certain tooltips within the tech tree.

• We are considering a concept of building upgrade technologies to give early buildings more longevity in the game (i.e. Automated Factory II)
  • Tooltips of weapons will be improved to provide full clarity on their effectiveness
  • We are considering adding weapon mods (Heavy, Envelopment, etc.) to the tech tree as researchable technologies
  • Jump Gates will be moved to an earlier spot in the tech tree to improve early and mid-game movement
  • Shield upgrades will be expanded, and we will introduce additional weapon options for ships

Galaxy Screen
The galaxy view is beautiful, but we want it to be functional for you too. To that end we are making adjustments to better provide information on colonies, ships and other entities at-a-glance.

• We are planning to increase the quantity of wormholes to make exploration more exciting—“Where is this going to take me?”
  • We are planning to increase the information around the planet to display things like trade goods, pollution cleanup, etc. as icons
  • We are experimenting with a slow / limited navigation option outside of starlanes, unlocked via mid-game technology
  • Radar lines will be introduced to show maximum visibility range of ships, monsters and planets
  • The ability to see the weapons/modules of a ship when hovering over its icon in the fleet window will be added
  • Population display will be changed to show both the current and maximum population of a planet
  • Icons will be added next to fleets that convey what they are doing (i.e. guarding, blockading, constructing something)
  • Civilian ships will be changed to not trigger the threatening fleet notice
  • The star systems near the core of the galaxy will be made easier to see
  • A rally point option will be added for military ships/fleets

Game Settings / Setup
Less confusion and more options are the big themes for our pass on game settings / setup at the moment.

• The galaxy seed will be randomized by default each time you begin a game, rather than starting at 0; you will still have the option of setting this manually or using the random button, but we want to reduce the confusion over galaxy options for newer players
  • We will introduce a “Game Speed” option that determines how fast or slow things progress (e.g. production, research, colony growth)
  • We plan to allow the use of different text and audio localizations (i.e. Russian text, English audio)
  • It will be possible to disable GNN while still getting important updates
  • The ability to disable Unstable Warp Lanes will be added as an advanced setting
  • VO options will be expanded so that you can disable advisor VO while keeping other voices on

Miscellaneous
Below are some of the things we’re working on that would impact multiple areas of the game, or do not fit into a specific category outlined above.

• Additional functionality (such as right-click) to exit out of screens will be added
  • A subtitles option will be added for screens that include VO to ensure information is not missed for hearing-impaired players
  • Colorblind options will be added to game settings
  • A user-defined chess clock-style turn timer will be added for multiplayer
  • An explanation of the Galactic Council will be added and displayed when it is founded
  • Special resources will be better explained
  • We will be adding the ability to open certain UI elements after you end your turn in multiplayer

It’s important to stay engaged with the community during Early Access, so we intend to communicate changes like this whenever possible. Providing feedback on games can sometimes feel like a one-way street, and we want you to know we’re listening.

Thank you for playing, and please keep the feedback coming. You’re helping us make Master of Orion the best it can be.

Omega_Weapon #2 Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:09 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players
Great news. I am especially ecstatic about the "navigation option outside of starlanes" (so happy I could cry). All the other changes mentioned are also good and will definitely improve the game. Thanks for taking our feedback seriously and thank you for keeping us in the loop with this post GeneralDirection.

tad10 #3 Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

Commander

• Players
Good stuff. 

Comments:  you need to make Technology not just a little slower, but also more selective.  Currently too few "selection" options.  A good example is Galactic Networking - shouldn't get both Currency and Tech, or  Pulson Missile and Armor, again you should get one or the other.
Basically, I'd (at a minimum) double the number of selective techs you have and then given Psilon's the creative trait (allowing them all techs).

And great to see you're moving to  more control over tactical but I'd also slow down the default speed.  1x is too fast for any serious encounters.

ReallyDeepMan #4 Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Game Settings / Setup - would you consider adding difficulty settings?

Eji1700 #5 Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:39 AM

Commander

• Players

Liking basically all of this.

Some requests:

Constructors able to do more.  They're a fine feature (workers are nothing new to TBS games) but they just don't do enough.  I very quickly have no reason to keep mine, and then scrap them until I need one again (jump gates/asteroid/gas giant tech).  Give them plenty to do and a reason to keep them with the fleets (especially since sniping them might be wise).  The ability to build forward bases, inhibitors, mine fields, trade posts, whatever.  There's a whole slew of gameplay they can bring so I hope they're getting more features in the future.

Handle weapon upgrades how they were in the old days.   The farther down the tech tree you get from the weapon tech, the more options you unlock.  I realize that might be a bit harder with a tech tree like this, but there's several intuitive ways you could do it. I dislike the idea of having it actually be on the tech tree itself as it seems much less interesting decision wise.  Further it really helped tech races that if they were focusing on infrastructure and not weapons tech that if they were surprise attacked their old weapons would naturally have all the possible upgrades available to help hold off aggressors.

GeneralDirection #6 Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View Posttad10, on 11 March 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

Good stuff. 

Comments:  you need to make Technology not just a little slower, but also more selective.  Currently too few "selection" options.  A good example is Galactic Networking - shouldn't get both Currency and Tech, or  Pulson Missile and Armor, again you should get one or the other.
Basically, I'd (at a minimum) double the number of selective techs you have and then given Psilon's the creative trait (allowing them all techs).

And great to see you're moving to  more control over tactical but I'd also slow down the default speed.  1x is too fast for any serious encounters.

Tech selections and combat speed at 1x are definitely topics we've reported.

View PostReallyDeepMan, on 11 March 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Game Settings / Setup - would you consider adding difficulty settings?

This was already coming so I didn't really think to put it in there. We're just wanting to get "Average" right and then we can tweak up/down in difficulty from there.

View PostEji1700, on 11 March 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

Liking basically all of this.

Some requests:

Constructors able to do more.  They're a fine feature (workers are nothing new to TBS games) but they just don't do enough.  I very quickly have no reason to keep mine, and then scrap them until I need one again (jump gates/asteroid/gas giant tech).  Give them plenty to do and a reason to keep them with the fleets (especially since sniping them might be wise).  The ability to build forward bases, inhibitors, mine fields, trade posts, whatever.  There's a whole slew of gameplay they can bring so I hope they're getting more features in the future.

Handle weapon upgrades how they were in the old days.   The farther down the tech tree you get from the weapon tech, the more options you unlock.  I realize that might be a bit harder with a tech tree like this, but there's several intuitive ways you could do it. I dislike the idea of having it actually be on the tech tree itself as it seems much less interesting decision wise.  Further it really helped tech races that if they were focusing on infrastructure and not weapons tech that if they were surprise attacked their old weapons would naturally have all the possible upgrades available to help hold off aggressors.

Space Factories - I don't really have a lot of info on this yet, but I'm sure the team could come up with some cool ways to make them more valuable late-game.

Weapon upgrades - Maybe each time you spend some research on a weapon after you've unlocked it, you unlock a modifier for it? I'll make sure to get more info on all of the systems we're expanding so we can explain the changes more in-depth when they're ready to be implemented.

Zenicetus #7 Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:10 AM

Commander

• Players

This looks very promising, thanks for the update!

I could cherry pick some of the things I like hearing here, but just to pick one I'll just say.... Yay! for Rally Points!

Francois424 #8 Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:11 AM

Commander

• Players

View Posttad10, on 11 March 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

Good stuff.

If you split everything off then I want creative trait back.
So far there is a few choices, but not too much.  So Creative is un-necessary,  and it's a fine balance.

But if you start splitting the tree too much, then Creative (or a means to return to earler tech to develop them again, by say, spending another 12 turn like the original) is needed.

@GeneralDirection :

Thank you for taking the time to advise us on what's going on and what's planned.  Looking forward to the no-star-lanes option personally.

Edited by Francois424, 12 March 2016 - 01:13 AM.

BionicDance #9 Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

A lot of this sounds good. Really good.

However...

Block Quote

We are experimenting with a slow / limited navigation option outside of starlanes, unlocked via mid-game technology

Early game, please.

Right...that out of the way, lets talk about a few other things.

- We’re working on making pirates more interesting, giving more options for interacting with and engaging them, as well as the ability for them to expand

This has me very curious. Will the pirates have leaders the way empires do? Can we bribe them to go harass someone else, like mercenaries? Can we take over their bases and use their ships as deniable assets?

...or am I just going all pie-in-the-sky? Cuz there are sooooo many possibilities.

- Miniaturization will be introduced; all hail making things smaller!

What does this mean? I know there was a tech in MoO2--Microlite Construction or something--that multiplied construction production by, like, quite a lot.

If that's not it, then...what are we talking about, here?

- Civilian ships will be added to the battlefield, so use caution when moving them around the galaxy along with your combat fleets

Eek, really? I can understand if they were, say, in orbit around your own colony, but if you're the one doing the attacking, couldn't you order them to stay the heck away from the battle until it was completed?

Just a suggestion, but perhaps make this only the case if you weren't the one clicking the "attack" button?

And while we're on the subject, I didn't see anything about invasions...it's still an issue that the number of troop transports we want to use when invading isn't a choice; either we use all of them at once or we send away to another planet before invading. Very cumbersome.

Another idea: armor divisions. Right now, we can only offload troops, but sometimes there is an armor barracks on the planet, which makes it a lot more difficult to defeat the baddies. Perhaps have a tech that allows us to make tank transports or battlemech transports, so the invasion forces we drop have a little more oomph against an armor barracks?

A retreat option will be introduced at the intro screen as well as during combat (note: some technologies/structures/specials may potentially prevent retreat from being possible for all ships)

In MoO2, individual ships could retreat when they'd been severely damaged, leaving those less hurt to remain and fight...but right now, we can only select ships of the same type at once, not individuals. So what will retreating actually do?

I'm in the camp of wanting fine control over my battles, up to and including giving orders to each individual ship, and I'd like that ability when it comes to ordering a retreat as well.

We will be updating the ship design interface

Will we be getting a "Clear all" button? The main reason I don't bother making my own designs is how difficult it can be just getting rid of the stuff I don't want.

We will provide better feedback on the diplomacy screen, including how racial traits and other bonuses are impacting relations

Awesome. :)

AI will be improved to propose more intelligent exchanges, such as tech for tech

Oh, thank goodness! The AI always seemed so intent on ripping me off.

Will we also get the ability to renegotiate when the AI is the one making the deal, the way we can on the diplomacy screen, or will the options still be accept or incur their wrath?

Certain actions have too much impact on diplomatic relations and will be adjusted (i.e. share charts currently has far too negative of an effect if rejected)

Again, thank goodness!

We will improve the flagging feature by allowing you to not only name your flags, but also define new flag types

I'll be honest, I have no idea what flags are supposed to be good for. Why do I want to flag a colony? The flags don't show up on the galaxy screen. Short of reminders about...something...I don't know why I'd use them.

It would be nice to have--on both the empire and planets screens--to have a filter function in addition to the sorting function; hostile/non-hostile environments, rich/poor mineral levels, enemy presence...like they had in MoO2. Just a little better information management.

- We are considering a concept of building upgrade technologies to give early buildings more longevity in the game (i.e. Automated Factory II)

I thought that's what new tech like robo-miners were supposed to do: same basic concept, just more power/efficiency at the same job, adding to--rather than replacing--existing tech. Maybe I'm wrong, I d'know.

- Jump Gates will be moved to an earlier spot in the tech tree to improve early and mid-game movement

Well, it's not quite having an open map...but it's something, I suppose...

- Civilian ships will be changed to not trigger the threatening fleet notice

Will they also not be attacked by opponents without a declaration of war first? Lost sooooo many scouts just cuz another empire decided to swat 'em.

Actually, that hasn't happened in a while; was that fixed in the last update?

- It will be possible to disable GNN while still getting important updates 

Oh, thank goodness! So we'll still be told when a star is about to go nova even with the news off? And it won't just be off to the side and easy to miss like everything else that happens between turns?

Cuz if so...thank you!

- VO options will be expanded so that you can disable advisor VO while keeping other voices on

I love you, and want to have your babies!

A rally point option will be added for military ships/fleets

- The galaxy seed will be randomized by default each time you begin a game

- The ability to disable Unstable Warp Lanes will be added as an advanced setting

Awesome, awesome, awesome! :)

Vahouth #10 Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:17 AM

Vice Admiral

• Players

A deluge of good news! Thank you guys for listening. :)

I'd also like to say in turn that tech should be more selective, diplomacy should have counter offers and ships should be able to cross several starlanes when applicable. 

EDIT: We also need to customize the Starbase's loadout. 

Edited by Vahouth, 12 March 2016 - 01:19 AM.

Surtial #11 Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Are you working on upgrading military bases like shops are being done. As new tech becomes available, it should affect them as well, Which will keep them viable beyond early game. And may we see the ability to rename our worlds, a minor thing, but something I had always enjoyed. I would also like the chance to choose my Empire's color (again a minor item), or is this what you mean by changing your flags color? The other commentators before me all had valuable suggestions which I concur with. Otherwise, OI look forward to these proposed changes. Eagerly!

Edited by Surtial, 12 March 2016 - 01:33 AM.

tad10 #12 Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:50 AM

Commander

• Players
For the record, I like GNN, but in an MP game where time is of the essence it would be good to disable it.  Agree on being able to modify Starbase/Fortress/Battlestation loadouts.

kiny506 #13 Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:10 AM

Ensign

• Players
I know its a long shot but I would love to see real time planetary invasions implemented, Also the option to make bombarding a planet less random and more focused, I don't like the idea of causing genocide on a planet. also any chance of adding a diplomatic option to form power blocs? Like can I suggest to my Psilon allies to become allies with my Bulrathi allies. 

Francois424 #14 Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostVahouth, on 11 March 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

A deluge of good news! Thank you guys for listening. :)

I'd also like to say in turn that tech should be more selective, diplomacy should have counter offers and ships should be able to cross several starlanes when applicable.

EDIT: We also need to customize the Starbase's loadout.

View PostSurtial, on 11 March 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Are you working on upgrading military bases like shops are being done. As new tech becomes available, it should affect them as well, Which will keep them viable beyond early game. And may we see the ability to rename our worlds, a minor thing, but something I had always enjoyed. I would also like the chance to choose my Empire's color (again a minor item), or is this what you mean by changing your flags color? The other commentators before me all had valuable suggestions which I concur with. Otherwise, OI look forward to these proposed changes. Eagerly!

Oh yes !  I want Renaming Stars in-game as well.

Having upgradable outposts/Starbases is a must as well, being able to design them is something I've wanted ever since Moo2.

About new biomes, just a quick question: Will every race have their own good/uber biomes?

I am asking since terraforming always goes to the terran even tho it might not be the best biome for a specific race.

Example: Since silicoids are going to have 'volcano' as their best biomes, it would make sense for every race having a different one (or as much as possible) and terraforming getting it closer and closer to their perfect ones.

A war vs say, humans and silicoids, in which each side races to re-Terraform the planets would be awesome.

There might be better targets for these 2 races based on how much terraforming steps they would require to make these colonies perfect (assuming you do not invade)..

Edited by Francois424, 12 March 2016 - 02:24 AM.

Eji1700 #15 Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:38 AM

Commander

• Players

View PostBionicDance, on 12 March 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

- Miniaturization will be introduced; all hail making things smaller!

What does this mean? I know there was a tech in MoO2--Microlite Construction or something--that multiplied construction production by, like, quite a lot.

If that's not it, then...what are we talking about, here?

Every tech level you went beyond the level where you got a specific weapon tech made that weapon smaller and take less space (while also unlocking extra mods for it).

For example merc missiles were in say, tier 2 chemistry and took 100 space.

When you get tier 3 chem they take 95 space and you get the fast mod.

when you get tier 4 chem they take 90 space and you get the armored mod

when you get the tier 5 chem it's 85 and they can now have mirv.

The idea being that by the time you've unlocked the next tier of missiles they'll probably do more damage, but your older missiles will take less space and have more options for modification vs the new ones, which makes sense and gives them some strategic use rather than being instantly obsoleted.  This worked for all weapons/systems if I remember right and wasn't really well balanced (mirv'd missile spam was the way to go really), but it did allow some unique play where you might keep an out of date beam because you can mount more and use the enveloping option while using your new toys for raw damage (or ideas along those lines)

BionicDance #16 Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

Oh.

Okay. Makes sense.

Mathias_Zealot #17 Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:11 AM

Captain

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 12 March 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Space Factories - I don't really have a lot of info on this yet, but I'm sure the team could come up with some cool ways to make them more valuable late-game

OP

Balance/AI
This is an important focus for us as it impacts most if not all game systems. Without solid balance and a strong AI, things begin to fall apart. If we were to prioritize the content of this article, you could probably consider most of the topics in this list as the highest priority.

• Late-game pacing is sluggish, so we are planning to improve that—especially providing interesting things for players not focused on the Conquest victory condition

Some more stellar constructions might go a long way towards making the non-conquest late game more interesting (and provide some more interesting... targets).

Overall very good to see that we are being heard and considered; a much needed shot of good news.
EA4 Weapon Data (5-27-16)

Lucian667 #18 Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:14 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostGeneralDirection, on 11 March 2016 - 11:37 PM, said:

[*]We are experimenting with a slow / limited navigation option outside of starlanes, unlocked via mid-game technology

This is one of the few things that might make me change my mind and actually consider purchasing the release version of the game. However please dont go the MOO 3 route and make Off-road travel so slow that it is utterly useless. I understand that it must be slower, but you must make sure that it is a viable ALTERNATIVE, not a useless feature that nobody with a brain would ever use.

Also making it available in the early game rather than the mid game would make this game about 100 times more attractive.

BionicDance #19 Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:17 AM

Rear Admiral

• Players

View PostLucian667, on 11 March 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

I understand that it must be slower, but you must make sure that it is an ALTERNATIVE, not a useless feature that nobody with a brain would ever use.

Hear, hear!

GeneralDirection #20 Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

WG Staff

• Administrator

View PostFrancois424, on 11 March 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

If you split everything off then I want creative trait back.
So far there is a few choices, but not too much.  So Creative is un-necessary,  and it's a fine balance.

But if you start splitting the tree too much, then Creative (or a means to return to earler tech to develop them again, by say, spending another 12 turn like the original) is needed.

@GeneralDirection :

Thank you for taking the time to advise us on what's going on and what's planned.  Looking forward to the no-star-lanes option personally.

My pleasure. You have no idea how excited I was to work on this post after seeing the list of changes. The actual list is about twice as long as this, it's just that some of the changes are so early in their planning that we'd rather not make promises on them yet.

View PostBionicDance, on 11 March 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

A lot of this sounds good. Really good.

However...

Early game, please.

Right...that out of the way, lets talk about a few other things.

I just want to say this was an awesome posted that I cropped out. I'm going to come back to it on Monday when I have a clear head and can respond in a way it deserves. :)

View Postkiny506, on 11 March 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

I know its a long shot but I would love to see real time planetary invasions implemented, Also the option to make bombarding a planet less random and more focused, I don't like the idea of causing genocide on a planet. also any chance of adding a diplomatic option to form power blocs? Like can I suggest to my Psilon allies to become allies with my Bulrathi allies. 

We're not ready to talk about changes to invasions yet, but making bombardment more clear and functional is a goal.

View PostFrancois424, on 11 March 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

About new biomes, just a quick question: Will every race have their own good/uber biomes?

Probably not; we don't want any of the traits to feel like "me too" traits where everyone has one. I know we're almost there right now with starting techs, but they at least offer a little variation. That said, trait improvements as a whole is in its infancy in terms of design, which is why we were fairly vague here, so I would not throw out the possibility of other uber planet traits popping up if they make sense.

View PostMathias_Zealot, on 11 March 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

Some more stellar constructions might go a long way towards making the non-conquest late game more interesting (and provide some more interesting... targets).

Overall very good to see that we are being heard and considered; a much needed shot of good news.

Space Factories being useful late-game for non-Conquest victories is an interesting idea. I'm planning to write up a report on the... feedback to our feedback about the feedback (that's a lot of feedback!)... so I'll make sure I include that in there.

View PostLucian667, on 11 March 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

This is one of the few things that might make me change my mind and actually consider purchasing the release version of the game. However please dont go the MOO 3 route and make Off-road travel so slow that it is utterly useless. I understand that it must be slower, but you must make sure that it is a viable ALTERNATIVE, not a useless feature that nobody with a brain would ever use.

Also making it available in the early game rather than the mid game would make this game about 100 times more attractive.

Yeah that's the idea. It would honestly be pointless to spend development time on it if it were useless, so I can't imagine we'd do that.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users